Last-Minute Projects

>> Sunday, November 9, 2008

Every time I go into a bookstore and look in their crafts section, I end up poring over Joelle Hoverson's Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts. As soon as feasible I will buy it for myself, and not just because my high school French name was Joelle or because Hoverson knows how to appropriately use a hyphen in "last-minute" though those attributes are much appreciated.

image from Purl

What stands out to me about this book is that it offers both beginning and advanced crafters idea, options, and well-written instructions. The chapters are divided by the estimated time for the project. While I'm sure it will take some people less time and others more time, overall the time frames seem accurate and doable to me, even for those who are less experienced. In fact, I think it serves as an excellent intro to patchwork/quilting book. You may still need to look elsewhere for instructions of binding, but the color wheel, the suggested projects, and, above all, the commitment to do-able projects makes it a great option for someone just starting out. In addition, I like that Hoverson is ok with bending rules. There are no absolutes in this book, no sense that if you don't pin something with 80 pins it will necessarily fall apart, no message that something must be perfect.

Go and check it out. Your local library may have, your local bookstores probably have it, and you can of course order it online. If you're seeking online options, you can buy it directly from Joelle Hoverson at Purl, her Soho store; it's also available online at amazon. If you want to learn more, check out the Purl blog, the purl bee (knitters, clearly, are welcome there). If you'd like to see some of the projects people have made based on the book, check out this flickr group.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP