An Experiment with....Traditional Quilt Patterns

>> Thursday, November 13, 2008

If you've seen the other quilts I've made, you can tell that I often go for more modern looks and less traditional fabrics. I made this baby quilt over the summer, as a challenge to myself: how can I use the navy fabric and the brown fabric and how can I draw upon the more traditional quilt designs with which this type of fabric is often associated? I'm pretty pleased with the result:

As I haven't actually mailed this one yet, I'm keeping mum about the recipient. Let's just say that it's going to a child whose parents are are quite thoughtful about bending tradition in certain ways and, in that regard, it's amusing to me that this quilt is a fairly traditional one.


The design uses two main blocks: a three-stripe block typical of rail-fence patterns and a classic 9-patch block. My favorite part of the quilt may be the blue and brown border, made from the scraps of the strip-pieced 9-square blocks. (The father will like this no-waste approach to material.) I used flannel as the batting layer and backed the quilt with a deep red/maroon and cream fabric that meshed well with the brown and cream binding. The red fabric was the perfect size -- literally, I only trimmed the edges to match it up, less than a 1/2 inch from any given side. I quilted very simply on the diagonals, creating a diagonal grid pattern.

3 comments:

Anonymous September 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM  

Hello there :)

first of all, I love this quilt! It's really beautiful which is why I would like to try this pattern for my first quilt ever. Since I'm a total beginner at quilting I was wondering what size you made the individual squares?

I'd be very very grateful for an answer.

- Lisa

two hippos September 23, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

Hi Lisa. Thanks for stopping by! To be honest, I don't remember the block sizes, but I would guess 3-3.5". I would make the nine-patch blocks and then measure and cut the fabric for the three-rail blocks (the width will be same as the individual squares and the length will be the length of the 9-patch block (which should be the 3 squares minus seam allowance. For example, if the squares are 3", then the rectangles should be cut 3x8 (3+3+3 = 9- (.5*2) = 8. This assumes a 1/4 inch seam allowance, so you lose 1/2" on each seam). Does this make sense? Feel free to email me if you want.

Anonymous September 25, 2011 at 7:29 AM  

Thank you, that helps a lot! I can't wait to get started :)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP