The Grammar Princess

>> Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My friend Abby is the Grammar Princess. If I had a digital picture of her dressed up as such, I might even post it. But I don't. You'll just have to imagine her gown, crown, and very important magic grammar wand. In contrast, I am just a former college newspaper editor, with a glammed-up rhinestone and fluff tiara to show for it (oh, darn, no digital pictures from the college era). But right now I would like to borrow the grammar princess' wand and eliminate certain grammatical annoyances from academic work.

My first target would be "firstly. "Firstly" is, alas, a word. But it is a word that should be destroyed. It serves no useful purpose. "First" handles all jobs quite well. Note, for example, that I could have written, "Firstly, I would destroy 'firstly.'" But really, "First, I would destroy 'firstly'" sounds so much better.

End grammar rant. [And I promise not to judge your blog for the use of "firstly." Ok, maybe I will, but only a tiny bit. This issue is far more grating in already turgid academic prose (because non-turgid academic prose -- which does exist for all you doubtors out there -- would never deign to use "firstly" in the first place).]

To make up for my digression into grammar, I offer you some amusing and sardonic (amusingly sardonic? sardonically amusing?) TypeTees from threadless (many of which are currently on sale):

Find it, you know, um, over here.

Craisins, however, are allowed to stay in.
Available here.

Maybe scissors wants to join the fun.
Go here.

3 comments:

~Michelle~ November 25, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

Firstly, I must say I agree with your assessment. Ok, seriously...I really do hate it when people use "firstly," so thank you for providing that bit of bloggy education to your readers! My husband has felt the wrath of the grammar police every time he asks me to read one of his papers for school, and firstly/secondly are usually on the list!

two hippos November 25, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

:) I love the ever-expanding cadre of grammar police.

Becca November 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM  

I am really picky about grammar so I understand how you feel.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP