Selvage Strings

>> Sunday, January 10, 2010


At some point in the past year, I stumbled upon the Selvage Blog. Until then, the selvages (the bottom and top edges of fabric) had simply been discarded fabric. After encountering the blog, I started to save and collect the selvages from the fabrics I used in projects. By the end of 2009, I had a quart bag stuffed full of selvages.


Over the past half-year, I started seeing lots of string quilts on other blogs. Most of them were paper pieced, which intimidated me, since I've never used foundation-piecing in my quilting. But lots of tutorials appeared (e.g., here and here), and the quilts looked so good (whether intensely colorful or more muted).


Obviously, it was time to to figure out the technique and jump into the string-quilting fun.

 

And then Stephanie over at Loft Creations posted a new challenge, a string-quilt challenge. With that bag o'selvages in mind, I decided to make a "2009-In-Fabrics" Selvage String Quilt. It's in-progress, and given the work I need to finish in the next few weeks, it will probably stay that way for a while. I went for foundation piecing on muslin, which was very stable and easy to do. However, it does make the blocks pretty thick. Next time, I'll try paper-piecing.

3 comments:

Erica Spinks January 10, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Love your colour combinations! It looks as if you are joining your selvedges with seams? Have you tried overlapping them instead? It is not as bulky then and you don't cut off any of those gorgeous dots of colour. This is the technique I use in my selvedge projects - you can see some of them on my blog at http://creativedabbling.blogspot.com/search/label/Selvedges

Selvage Quilter January 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

Very nice selvage quilt! You can see the method that Erica is talking about if you look at: www.selvagequilts.com. It's simply top-stitching, rather than "stitch and flip." And there's less bulk. When you sew your blocks together, it might help to use a quilter's walking foot. That moves all the layers under the needle at the same rate. You probably know all this, but I wanted to make sure. Have fun!
Karen

Abby and Stephanie January 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM  

Love your use of selvedges in the string challenge!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP