Ironic Onesies

>> Sunday, January 24, 2010


Baby showers are not exactly my cup of tea. At least, "traditional" baby showers with stupid silly games and oddly-shaped food are not my cup of tea. In fact, I've deftly avoided all such showers. However, friends threw a baby shower for my friend Torie last weekend and I was lucky enough to a) be in town for it and b) enjoy a crafty, fun shower. In fact, the primary activity was painting onesies, a task I rather enjoyed.

It brought me back to my 10th birthday party, in which my mom made purple drawstring bags for my friends and I to decorate with puffy paint and sparkles and whatever it is that 10-year-olds in 1990 liked to use in crafts. Of course, I was all too eager to get started while my mom was still chatting with the other parents who dropped off their kids, so some of the bags might have been painted inside out...

Onesies provided an opportunity for redemption, or at least adult-level painting (on the correct side, check) and humor (of the ironic/sarcastic sort, check). Since the infants wearing these outfits can't read, I figure they're more for those who can. And hopefully they'll bring a smile to a parent or someone else's face.

Then there was the copiously designed and painted biology onesie, complete with the skeletal bones and internal organs: 


Quite impressive!

5 comments:

Torie January 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM  

One of them is going to wear the biology onesie to a pediatrician's appointment. That's a promise.

Anonymous January 24, 2010 at 5:01 PM  

I'm not one for baby showers either, but this sounds like a fantastic party! If I ever have to throw a shower for a friend, I'm totally stealing the idea.

Unknown January 25, 2010 at 12:47 PM  

If mom wants, I'll make a matching one so no one gets jealous. Or another one with key biomolecules.

greeblygreebly January 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Those are so great! What a fun idea for a shower. You can't have too many onesies and there is no law that they have to be boring. :)

Rebeccak January 26, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

haha nice one Matt! What a great idea!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP