The Little Things

>> Thursday, January 28, 2010

 

"I came back to get my stuff after class and saw that you're stuff was still in the office," my friend remarked to me the other day. "Still at the office" referring to 9 pm, an hour at which no one should be in an office. It's been one of those weeks, of long hours of working and staying late to try and get everything done. It's been stressful and overwhelming at times. 

But it's Thursday night and, finally, for the first time in a while, I'm starting to see some light. A major deadline comes tomorrow, and I'll meet it. Several large piles of books stare up at me, needing to be read by Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, respectively. And, with a lot of work, I'll get through them. I have an email in my inbox, with a long paper attached, waiting to be edited. And I'll get to that too, next week. 

And then, in a week's time, I might even sit down at my sewing machine again. I can't wait. I have so many ideas swimming around my head, wanting to become real live projects. I have a mess of fabric piled on my cutting mat from the last time I played with fabric. I have a pile of blocks on my ironing board, waiting to be joined together in something more. I have a chain of squares sitting in my sewing machine. Lots to look forward to enjoying.

As hard as it can be to work for hours straight, to be so busy I forget about the little errands I need to run, to be so immersed in work that I forget about fixing the clogged toilet (any tips on plungers? It turns out I'm not so good at wielding them?), it's also kind of nice to be so absorbed by what I'm doing. Also, almost every day this week has been brightened by something -- the wonderful blog coverage earlier this week, a compliment, a juicy email, students truly engaged in the reading assignments. This week, it's been all about the little things, little things that make me smile for a moment and encourage me to keep working when I'm tired, when it's cold, when I want to stop. What little things have motivated you this week?

Oh, and that picture above? More coming soon!

5 comments:

Anonymous January 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM  

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Plunger-MP100-3-Black/dp/B0006IXNDW/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264741256&sr=8-19

We've had good luck with this kind of plunger (not this exact model but one like this that is usually quite cheap and available at any hardware store or Target type place.) It doesn't require as much upper body strength as the old fasioned kind so is a bit easier to use. Hope your week eases up soon!

two hippos January 29, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try one of those plungers, as I just have the regular old kind.

Dana January 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

I'm a high school teacher, and this week was the end of the semester. I was inspired by meeting and working with my new intern for next semester--his enthusiasm and passion helped reignite me when I was getting ready to drown under the pile of tests, portfolios, and essays I received between Monday and Friday.

(Which reminds me, I should go grade.)

Just discovered your blog and I love it! A fellow teacher & crafter. Drawn to creation, we are.

Anonymous January 30, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

With a plunger, upper body strength helps, but the main thing is that you need to get a good seal to create a vacuum. This helps to dislodge the blockage when "plunging" or pumping it up and down. I've never used the style suggested by greeblygreebly, but if it will help to get a good seal (and because of it's funnel-like design, it may), then go for it. Good luck!

Christine February 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

heyo! We do the plunging thing all the time!!! those lo-flow toilets are the pits and at this house....many male teenagers..and hubby, too...so there is much p---

One thing I notice...Momma is always able to unclog the toilets, cuz I use my head instead of strength. Always include air in the plunger bulb area (lift out of water and re-aerate it) and I use an up and down, short bursts motion. Usually does the trick.

A few years ago, I had to buy a "snake", since I certainly was NOT going to call a plumber for this. It worked beautifully! along with a pair of rubber gloves haha.

This is so weird to have a toilet discussion!!

Isn't it frustrating when you can't hit up your creative side once in awhile? A definite "fix", better than .......

good luck to ya!
Christine

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP