Craft Hope

>> Tuesday, June 16, 2009


A few weeks ago, I stumbled upon Craft Hope. At the time, the group was collecting handmade dolls for an orphanage in Nicaragua. Because I'm not a doll maker and have no designs on doll-making, I simply filed the site away in depths of my brain. This morning I found out that the next project is handmade blankets -- quilter, sewers, knitters, crochet-ers all welcome. This project is a little more up my ally, and the Miracle Foundation will distribute the blankets to orphan newborns in India.

When I posted Pay It Forward, I promised to not only make something for the three people who signed up but also pledged to help those in need. Craft Hope provides one opportunity to do so, and I plan to make at least one blanket for them. If you're interested, head over to Craft Hope and sign up. Blankets are due by July 25, so you've got some time to make one (or more!).

As much as Craft Hope and organizations like it are wonderful ways to share resources with those in need and I very much support the mission, I struggle with the balance between international and domestic aid. (I know about Project Linus and very much support it, but I think there are orphans and kids in foster care in the United States that could benefit from such an outpouring of love and help as well). I know it's more exciting to send blankets to newborns in India than to newborns in Detroit, but I think the need is the same in both places and yet I find more opportunities to send things internationally. I'm very much respect that Craft Hope will give the blankets to local groups if they arrive too late to go to India. The bottom line is that there are a lot of people in need and the more all of us can do to support those in need, the better off the world.

[/Off Soapbox]

News from the Swap:
Venezie Bags has received her fabric.
Lise reveals the fabric she sent.
Kerry has been to the post office.

4 comments:

Lise June 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

Ronit, I loved your post. I was planning to post about Craft Hope tomorrow, but I hadn't thought to write about my similar struggle with the international/domestic issue. Good for you for getting up on the soapbox. (And for participating anyway.)

Polka Dot Moon June 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Very good point! We do local charity for children and animals and a couple of charities in Africa.

It's a good feeling to help those in need.

Micki June 18, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

Craft Hope is wonderful! Thanks for posting!
Micki

heather June 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Good info. I too struggle with the domestic help. I was able to do some researching and I will be sewing for a local domestic abuse center. They sell handmade bags as a fund raiser. I still do an international too.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP