Mentos? Rainbow Sherbet? You Choose.

>> Monday, June 22, 2009


Amanda Jean made a jolly rancher quilt, I went for Mentos, or maybe rainbow sherbet. Like hers, this is made entirely from scraps. Ok, it's made mostly from scraps, with a little help from my stash. I'm shipping it off as my Craft Hope contribution tomorrow, and I finished it just under the wire in terms of access to my sewing machine and fabric.

There are some things I really like about it as well as some things I would do differently next time.

I love that I found a fun way to use my scraps.
I wish my scrap collection were a little larger (who doesn't?!) so the quilt contained more variety.

I love the wonky, improv log cabin blocks.
I wish I had thought a little more about the initial piecing so the colors were more evenly distributed across blocks.

I love that I finally made a full log cabin quilt (only blocks previously).
I wish I made more blocks so the log cabin effect could be more pronounced.


I love that I also pieced the back from my scraps & stash.
I wish I had had more of a dark color for the binding (c'est la vie).

I love this section of the pieced back.
I wish I had more of the American Jane Recess fabric (on the left, got in a swap) and the pink paisley (gasp! pink! I also got it through a swap).

I LOVE that I stipple-quilted for the first time (just got a darning/free-motion foot!).
I wish I were better at it (I know, I know, time & practice).



I love that I felt comfortable enough to just go for the stippling.
I wish I had thought about the impact of using different top and bobbin threads.

Scratch that. I actually like the way the red peeks through on the back, and I don't think red thread would have looked as good (or blended as well) on the back. Occasionally it looks a little weird, though.

I love the stipple-quilting effect.
I wish I had time to wash and dry it to achieve the crinkle effect before mailing it. Next time!

* * *

And I'm still eager for any and all NYC tips: food, fabric, free fun....anything! Post away :)

6 comments:

Unknown June 23, 2009 at 12:47 AM  

"I wish" is what drives us on to make the next quilt.
I understand what you mean though, every time I finish something I say " I wish". We must stop saying I wish and be happy with what our own hands have produced and even try new things just for fun even though it may not be what we expect in the end. I love the quilt.

Grace June 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

WOW! Your CraftHope blanket will put my little flannel receiving blankets to shame (got fabric; need to get to work)!!! This is beautiful - love the colors. I think the red peeking thru looks nice.

claire June 23, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

The rhythm of your list reminds me of Dayenu. It's a gorgeous quilt!

Micki June 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

These are such colourful quilts!
Micki

Sara June 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

I love it! Absolutely love it! Its beautiful! And my name would be rainbow sherbert! Great job!

jade June 25, 2009 at 12:40 PM  

oh my grace! just received the sweet quilt you made today and it is amazing. it will be loved! thank you so much.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP