Playing Catch-Up

>> Saturday, June 20, 2009

It's been a nutty week. A subletter is moving in tomorrow afternoon, at which point I'll drive off to Lexington, KY for a minute (well, 24 hours), come back for a night, head home to the DC area to see my family, and then go to NYC for 6 weeks.

How much closet and dresser space does my subletter need? I'm not sure, but I've left 2 out 3 dresser drawers empty and the primary closet rod vacant. The rest of the closet is another story. And then there were the pictures. After about 10 months of thinking about what I want on my bedroom walls, I finally hung a nice mirror my mom found for me as well as a collage of framed pictures. Prior to that, I rearranged the room. Inspired by new roommate, I opted for less floor space and a more grown-up bed protruding from the wall, rather than tucked in the corner (there are only so many options in a 9 3/4' x 9 3/4' room with 3 doors (hallway, closet, porch)). But I like it. I'm happy with it. I'm now pretty used to it (just in time to leave!). And if it hadn't been grey and rainy for the past few days I might have even grabbed a picture. Maybe tomorrow morning, in between washing all the linens.

Fabric has offered a lovely break this week. There's this bird print, an IKEA find:

And an array of awesome fabric acquired through swaps, the one I hosted and a couple of private swaps:

I've already got some projects planned out. Some of the blues and greens will make it into a chuppah I'm making, some of the blues and browns will go into another quilt that exists only in my head, and the pinks and oranges will find a home too. I'm very excited for all this fabric -- I don't have any of it and some I've admired from afar for a while. Moreover, I received fabric that I might not have bought but can't wait to use because it's just plain awesome.

Because I'll be without a sewing maching for about 7 weeks, I raced this week to finish several baby quilts. I need to bind the last one, a scrappy, wonky log cabin for Craft Hope, but aside from that I'm done. I'm saving some of the pictures since I won't be making anything for a while. Kind of weird that absence.

In the meantime, I'm going to ask you for your advice and knowledge:
*Any great vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Lexington, KY? Any good fabric shops?

*I'm from the DC area but haven't lived there in a while. Any new restaurants I should check out? What fabric shops should I know about that I don't (G Street Fabrics is about my limit).

*And, finally, the big one: New York. I'll be living in Brooklyn and attending classes at NYU. But I'm ready to venture anywhere. Please post any suggestions, recommendations, must sees/dos. I'm truly open to any and all information -- food, fabric, excursions, favorite hidden spots, free activities (in parks or elsehwere), somewhat known but unheralded must-dos? I've been to NY before but this will be my first time living there for any (short) length of time, and I want to explore as much as possible. Also, your favorite Thai restaurants are much appreciated!

9 comments:

Debbie June 20, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

oh, let me get with my daughter. She lives in Carroll Gardens/Park Slope and can tell you all the places to eat/drink. She works in Manhattan and used to live in the East Village before she got married 2 years ago. She has been all over that city. I go to visit in a few weeks and then she is moving to London for work. I'll have her email you some great spots to eat and see.

Unknown June 21, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

I LOVE that pear one! so cute! I took some pictures of the fabric that I bought. I will send you them soon!

Venezie Designs June 21, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

my goodness you got lots of great fabric there!

Becky June 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Here i sit absolutely pea green with envy! I would love to live in NYC even for a short time!

Safe journey and do report back what fabrics stores you find in DC and NYC.

Anonymous June 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM  

As a I mentioned Friday night, a great day is going up to the Cloisters/picnic in Ft. Tryon Park.

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge; have a cup of coffee/ice cream/slab of cake/etc. in one of the myriad of coffee shops on either side.

For the best milkshake, go up to Tom's Diner on 112th and Broadway. While up there, take a stroll through Morningside Heights (aka, Columbia-land - name patent pending by mois).

For modern art, of course there is MoMA. But also, for more contemporary work, the Whitney is a great museum.

2009 street fair schedule: http://www.nycstreetfairs.com/sched.html

Take the ferry out to Liberty Island (Statue of Liberty), Ellis Island, Liberty State Park. It's great to get a view of the city from the water, plus those places all have good things to do.

Coney Island.

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/features/75014/50-things-to-do-now-in-new-york-city Time Out New York is a good resource for things.

Check museum web sites - most have one night each week when it's open later and after a certain time, the museum is free.

Go to a Mets game (or a Yankees game, boo!).

At one point, my brother and SIL managed to take a free kayak ride on one of the rivers. I don't know how they managed it, but it's worth searching around for those kinds of deals if you are into that. If it's the East River, you REALLY don't want to fall in.

Take the LIRR out to Jones Beach.

Some of these events are free: http://www.summerstage.org/

Walk around the Village, Chinatown, etc.

Snag a great deal at Century 21.

According to Project Runway, the BEST fabric store in NYC is Mood. But I bet it's generally on the pricey side...

Enjoy your 6 weeks in NY!

--Amy

Anonymous June 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/restaurants/sawatdee,1026308.html

this is my favorite thai restaurant in the dc area. but i have not lived there in 7 years so i dont know how the food is now...

wishing you safe travels

Yana June 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

um, hang out w/me!

Rachel June 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

I hope you will continue your blog while you are gone. I have really enjoyed reading it.

two hippos June 22, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

Yeah for feedback! I'll continue posting while I'm gone, I promise!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP