Tutorial: How to Make a Challah Cover

>> Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One of the most frequent queries I get is "how do you make a challah cover?" I've avoided answering this question directly because there is no one way to do it. In a pinch, an unfolded napkin is just as functional in covering challah (delicious egg bread eaten on Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath) and most Jewish holidays) as a beautiful silk-screened, embroidered, quilted, or otherwise crafted piece of art.

But Sew Mama Sew has provided me with a wonderful opportunity to demonstrate how to make a challah cover. The tutorial includes templates for paper-piecing Shabbat in Hebrew as well as complete cutting and piecing instructions. Even if you don't need one for yourself, here's a chance to impress your friends when you give them a fabulously modern challah cover with Hebrew letters. (A big thanks to Michelle, Anna, Brenda, and Torie for making sure the templates and instructions made sense to non-Hebrew speakers.) It may be in another language that uses a non-Roman alphabet, but you don't have to be able to read it to piece it!

Head over to SMS for my Challah Cover Tutorial. I'd love to see what you make!

p.s. If you want to machine-bind your challah cover, you can find my machine-binding tutorial here.

5 comments:

Esch House Quilts August 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM  

Congrats on being on SMS! It looks like a great project.

Nicole @ Patchwork Duck Designs August 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM  

Ooh, thanks so much for creating this tutorial! I have always thought about making one but had trouble figuring out how to piece the letters!

Karissa August 7, 2012 at 5:22 PM  

Well, hey! I was going through my reader and thought, I know that face! And lo, that's where the circle quilting went, too! Big congrats! It all looks fabulous!

Laura G August 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM  

I just found your blog through a link from Sew Mama Sew. I thought I would join because I liked your style. Then I saw that you are at U of M and as a graduate of that fine institution(Music and Poly Sci with a lot of history thrown in for good measure) I had to join the group. Go blue and I look for ward to your posts.

Cristin August 9, 2012 at 9:35 PM  

So cool!!! congrats on being on SMS!! :)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP