New Bag for the New Year

>> Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I was lucky enough to be able to test Rae's new Showoff Bag pattern this weekend. This is super bag: big, roomy, fun, and straightforward to put together. This is the first time I've had the honor of testing a pattern and, I must say, it totally appeals to my sewer + editor side. Sometimes, when I'm not sewing or working on my own work, I do some freelance editing. And I really like it. Since pattern testing combines sewing and editing, I was a pretty content person this weekend.


This also gave me a chance to use this lovely piece of home dec weight fabric I've had in my stash for a while. It's from Joel Dewberry's Ginseng collection and I bought it on sale several years ago and have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. Since the pattern uses a half-yard of fabric on the exterior, this was the time. I used dark denim for the top panels and handles, also from my stash.


For the interior, I opted for some coordinating Curio Grunge in Butternut (by Moda). I had enough fabric left over from the exterior to add a matching pocket, and I remembered to add my label before putting the bag together. (This might be an obvious step, but I tend to forget it). Rae will be making the pattern available, both for personal use and with a seller's license soon. If you'd like to try your hand at winning a copy of the pattern, head over to Emily's blog and enter here (and drool at her amazing cakes, so awesome!).

Edited to add: The bag pattern is now available here.

And with that, I'm off to cook some more...Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, begins tonight. To those who celebrate it: shana tova u'metukah (a good & sweet new year). Or just pretend your new year starts tonight, and have a good & sweet new year as well (eat some apples and honey while you're at it).

5 comments:

~Michelle~ September 28, 2011 at 5:19 PM  

Happy New Year! And cute bag - I'm not sure how you can wrong with Joel Dewberry and love the Basic Grey grunge print :)

Rie September 28, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

It looks great - big & roomy but small under the arm! Good job!

Anonymous September 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM  

Shana tova u'metukah to you too. I will look forward to seeing what you create in the coming year.

-Sharon

Karissa September 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

Lucky you! The bag looks great. It's so nice to finally find the perfect project to go with some fabric, no? I have some bits waiting for the right project to come along, too...

sews1128 October 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM  

Beautiful bag, but I didn't see it for Rosh Hashana. Where was it hiding?

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP