Nests

>> Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sometimes the back of a quilt is as neat as the front. I've been working on this double-hourglass quilt for a couple days now (those triangles are small!) and today I sewed all of my hourglass squares together.

I realized that the back is as cool -- if not cooler -- than the front. There's something about those seams...

...all nested together that produces a rather neat visual. I followed Allison's tutorial, but, like Kelli,  used a honeybun (1.5" strips) instead of 2.25" strips. This yielded 4" (when trimmed up) square double-hourglass shapes. I must say that while I love the effect and the end result, if I ever make double hourglass blocks again, I'm using wider strips and thus bigger blocks!

3 comments:

Munaiba December 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

I agree with you. While the front is lovely the back is stunning. Are you going to start a new trend and make it up back to front? lol

Anonymous December 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM  

This is really cool. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Amy

~Michelle~ January 3, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

stellar! I've noticed the back is much much more interesting since I started ironing my seams out (and much easier to deal with when sewing HSTs) - I like to admire my blocks too!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP