Kandinsky Squares Complete

>> Monday, December 27, 2010


This may be my new favorite quilt. I'm loving the solids and the precision. If you're interested in making a similar quilt, I started with 4" squares, then used 1.5", 2", 1.25", and 2.25" strips. I squared the blocks up between each strip addition, and the final blocks were about 12 1/8".

I backed the quilt with a piece of flannel from my stash. The quilt started with the backing as I wanted to use it, and selected the front solids based on the back. The one flaw in this plan was not prewashing the backing; I've never had a problem with cotton fabrics bleeding, but the flannel produced some problems. Stain stick and another washing later took care of the problem, for the most part...

The circle quilting + crinkling makes me very pleased. I learned that I'm pretty good freehanding small circles, but the larger the spiral became the more I needed to pause and shift the quilt to keep it moving.

One of the pleasant surprises in this quilt was realizing that the blocks using pastels are my favorites. I am not a pastel person. I had a little pink and a little blue in my solid bin -- to be honest, I'm not totally sure how they got there as those aren't colors I regularly use or buy. Yet the middle two blocks in the quilts are the ones I love the most, perhaps because they make the purple pop.

This was a fun experiment. It ended up about 35" x 47" and I bound it in white as I didn't want to take anything away from the design itself. And I think more quilts like this are in my future. There's something about the raw simplicity that I find captivating to look at, again and again.

3 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski December 27, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

It's wonderful - thanks for the inspiration!

Shelley December 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

Love the simplicity of this quilt! It really shows off the design of the squares and the circle quilting. Fun choice for the backing too!

Anonymous December 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

Like the squares (I've always been partial to geometric design), but I LOVE how the quilting seems to soften the whole effect with the crinkling.

Yet another fine piece of work!

--Amy

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP