A Spirograph Quilt

>> Wednesday, December 9, 2009


I finally finished the primary quilt for the Miracle Foundation. After deliberating the layout, the actual quilt came together pretty easily.


This is what it looks like altogether. Perceptive eyes might notice that one block got reoriented from the initial version. Good thing I noticed my error before sewing. I'm good enough friends with my seam ripper scissors and don't really need to spend any more developing that relationship. As it is, we're quite close.





This is one of my favorite blocks, and I'm not even a fan of pink. But I'm becoming more tolerant of the color, albeit generally in its more magenta-like hues. Nevertheless, the partial flower at the center plus the other fabrics work well for me here. As for the quilting of this quilt, I quilted all the non-red areas with zig-zaggy lines. Basically, I sewed a straight line until it hit a border with red and then let the line "bounce" off that "wall" between the colors and head off in a new direction. It's not my favorite, but it was fun to do. It reminded me of those straight-line spirograph toys -- I've surveyed my office and while my officemates know what I'm talking about, none of us could name this toy. Any of you know what I'm talking about?

 
Inspired by Red Pepper Quilts' gorgeous quilts and backs (see here and here, for example), I pieced together big squares. The little yellow square lists all the people who generously contributed fabric: Michelle, Jen, Jocelyn, Lise, Grace, and Sandi.


I went with an orange binding, machine-sewn as usual. I tried a new technique that I'm not totally happy with, but experimenting has value unto itself. I still need to finish the third quilt for the Miracle Foundation so I can send them off to Jade who will deliver them. I had hoped to squeeze that in this past weekend, but it was not meant to be. It may be a couple weeks before I have time for that.

4 comments:

Lise December 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

It came out so beautifully! I love it!

Jocelyn December 9, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

These Miracle Quilts are turning out so great. Bright and colorful. Lots of interest.

carriegirl December 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

That is an amazing quilt!!! Wow! I only hope i can make something half that beautiful when i start quilting! Great job!

Micki December 12, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

That's a gorgeous quilt!
Micki

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP