A Little Rake Debacle

>> Tuesday, December 1, 2009


Rake image from charm4you's etsy shop.

Before I went to bed last night, I made myself a list of all the things I need to do to day. I love making lists, but more than making the lists, I love crossing things off the list. To scratch items off the list alas requires actually doing them. And here it is, at about half past noon, and I have very little to show for my morning. Not for lack of trying, however.

First, there was the burnt oatmeal. Don't start making oatmeal and forget about it. The scorched pot, the acrid smell, and the lack of breakfast are not good things. That's what I get for becoming distracted and trying to take care of some other things while making breakfast. In other words, it's what I get for attempting to multitask in the morning.

And then there was the rake. Tomorrow is the final leaf pick-up day for my town and, in an attempt to be a good citizen, I waited to move the leaves from the curb to the street until today. Also I'm lazy and procrastinate, so all that good citizen stuff is cover for just not dealing with the final step of leaf removal until the last possible moment.

Because I waited for the last minute and did not check on the supplies necessary (or the one tool necessary, a rake), I didn't realize that the better rake had disappeared from the shared garage. I pulled out the less-good rake, which is less good for a reason. Or was less good until it died. Yep, midway through transferring the leaves from the grass to the street, the rake handle split in half. leaving me with about 1.5 feet of handle attached to the rake. I did the best I could with what I had -- and used the snow shovel as a plow of sorts -- and am content to have a not totally leaf-free yard. Ehh, so it goes. At least trash pick-up is today and the trash truck came by after the rake debacle, so the rake is no more.

Despite all this, the day will move on. The sun has come out, which makes any day a better day, I've cleaned the scorched pot, and I just had a cup of hot chocolate with whipped cream. As for the errands and work that need to be done, there are still some hours left in the day. I can cross off leaf duty from that list and maybe I'll be able to cross off another item or two by nightfall. Or not, who knows.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP