Miracle Foundation Quilt #3

>> Sunday, December 27, 2009




This quilt top lay draped over my ironing board for several months. For some reason, I couldn't find the motivation to finish it. But I wanted to send all the quilts to Jade to give them to the Miracle Foundation so last night I dug deep, found my motivation (which was lacking principally because the fabric I thought I would use to back the quilt wasn't big enough and I was unhappy with the other options I considered. But yesterday, I realized I had a piece of fabric that would be perfect, and it was, for the most part), and finished the quilt.


The border, inspired by AmandaJean's scrappy 9-patch border, is my favorite part of this quilt. I backed the quilt with a piece of striped jersey cotton buried deep in my stash. I like the stripes of the cotton, but it's a pain to quilt. Puckers galore. Lesson learned.

 
I experimented with some fancy free-motion flower quilting which was fun and I liked a lot. However, it pretty much mandated that I would not be unpicking the quilting to fix the puckers.

 
This is the fabric off of which I based the quilting. It's a beautiful linen (or linen-like) fabric that was generously donated for these quilts, and it struck me that it would be a good model for the flower quilting I've wanted to try for a while now.

 
And here's a free-form version elsewhere in the quilt. The sun popped in for a bit late morning which helped me get some light for pictures. Winter makes the picture-taking tricky both because of the limited light and because I haven't figured out a way to take the quilts outside for pictures without messing them up. I'm perusing the internet for ideas about snow-laden quilt photography.

Tomorrow will be a big day at the post office, as I mail all of these Miracle Foundation quilts, a baby quilt (pictures forthcoming), and gifts out to the giveaway winners.

2 comments:

Jocelyn December 27, 2009 at 4:36 PM  

So glad you were able to finish the quilt, and it will be sent on its way.

Cristin December 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM  

Ronit - I love this! It might be my favorite :)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP