Austin Options

>> Thursday, September 2, 2010


In a little under a month, I'll be heading to Austin, TX for a conference. While the conference has its own merits, I'm especially excited to spend some time in Austin as I've heard amazing accolades about the city but have never been there before (in fact, my time in Texas has been limited to the Dallas/Fort Worth airport). My somewhat voracious consumption of fabric, quilting, and design blogs tells me there is an incredible crafty community in Austin. For those of you who live there, visit there, have heard things about Austin, what should I make sure to do while there? Where should I eat (I am a vegetarian, however, so even the best barbeque is not going to lure me anywhere)? What fabric shops should I check out? Any and all thoughts are welcome.

More quilty stuff coming soon.

And the photo has no direct relation to this post. I figured that the orange was appropriate for Austin, however.

5 comments:

The WoodLand School September 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Hooray for Austin! I live here and just LOVE IT! I'm a crafty vegetarian, too :-)

Send me an e-mail (jaycourt@ix.netcom.com) so we can chat ... I'll be happy to share any ideas with you.

Unknown September 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM  

Definitely check out Quilt Store, Inc - http://www.quiltstore.com/ & there's always the Austin Fabric Store Guide - http://www.dioramarama.com/austinfabric.html

As for veggie food - Veggie Heaven by campus is delicious and the Sunday brunch at Woodland is awesome!

Cheryl Warren September 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

I too had heard great things about Austin and visited a friend there a couple of years ago. I looked and looked and never found "the craft scene". I did find some nice fabric stores. News flash: all cities this size have at least a couple of nice fabric stores. I hope you have better luck than I did!

Micki September 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

I once lived in Austin and taught English at Del Valle High School! You will love the trip!
Micki

Mimi September 14, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

I am also an Austinite (one of the rare natives). There are TONS of veggie options, pretty much everywhere you go will have a veggie menu. Big places to check out are Bouldin Creek Coffe (a hippy cafe on South 1st Street), East Side Cafe (a bit more posh), and Mother's (more home cooking veggie/vegan fare).

Couple of awesome newish fabirc stores include: Stitch Lab (http://www.stitchlab.biz/), The Quilt Store, The Common Thread, and Honey Bee (which is pretty far north). There is also a great group of modern quilt guild ladies. They are meeting this Thursday. Email me if you want more details. Mimi[dot]Garcia[at]gmail

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP