A Fine Specimen

>> Tuesday, September 7, 2010

It was finally time. Time to get a new iron. After contemplating it for much of the summer for, after all, the old iron worked...just on its own schedule, I finally purchased a new iron.

My three primary considerations were: weight/heft (more rather than less), price (less rather than more), and a decent cord. Indeed, the major problem with the old iron was the cord, which was hanging on by some number of threads and electrical tape. Hence the heating up or not on its own schedule. Having recognized that the cord represented the major obstacle to iron longevity in my experience, the cord presented itself as the feature that differentiated the buyable from unbuyable irons. Namely, once I saw irons with retractable cords, I knew that the one I got would need to have such a thing. My thinking is that the retractable cord will prevent the weight of the cord from pulling itself into oblivion when hanging off the iron. We'll see if this hypothesis holds.

I ended up with another Black & Decker and, so far, its behaving and performing beautifully. I had forgotten what good work a real steamy iron could accomplish. That binding there in the picture? It was a snap to iron. Even though it was longer than any other binding I've ironed in months, it took much less time to get it folded up nicely.

Oh and that 336 inches or so of binding? It was put to good use yesterday. More pictures and a post forthcoming....once I find some helpers to aid in photographing this little monster.

3 comments:

Anonymous September 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Enjoy your new iron! I can't wait to see what the bound monster is!

Elsa September 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

I have a Black and Decker ... it's been the best iron I've had in a long while and has lasted way longer than any expensive iron. Got it at Target for 21.99 about 8 years ago and is still going strong!
oh ... love your blog!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) September 7, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

A good iron can certainly make a difference. I've been looking for one that doesn't use any kind of steam - not easy to find but I found one.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP