Mini-Lego Quilt

>> Saturday, September 25, 2010

I started making some gender-neutral quilts in the spring, in preparation for my various friends who had due dates over the summer. I got a little behind on finishing some of these projects, but a few weeks ago I was able to finish this one and send it off to San Francisco. Born in early July, Gabriel received his quilt in time for any 3-month celebrations that may have occurred and a couple weeks before he moved south to San Diego.

I made Jen and Claire's Lego chuppah a couple years ago, and while that design was named for the shapes of legos, this quilt uses the primary colors of legos. I modified Ashley's Blocks & Stripes pattern -- I made it a little smaller, using smaller blocks and thinner stripes. I also alternated using solid strips with 1-3 strips put together.

I quilted 1/4" on either side of all the blocks. I'm really liking this quilting method of late! This pattern is great for showcasing a variety of fabrics. This one includes a number of fabrics from multiple designers and collections -- some Amy Butler, some Metro Market, some Tina Givens, some Michael Miller, and more.

The back really shows the quilting and actually took more time to put together than the front. I love the patchwork squares (all leftover from piecing the front) next to a larger piece of Monaluna chickens.  I also incorporated the label into the quilt by encasing a white square with little scrap patchwork squares. I might love the back even more than the front.

I wasn't sure what color to use on the front. Part of me wanted to use read but I thought it would be hard to choose a red that coordinated with the slightly different reds in the fabrics I used. It came down to yellow (a deep orangey yellow) and blue, and the yellow won out.

2 comments:

Jilly September 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

This is a super cute quilt! I love the colours and the concept.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) September 27, 2010 at 3:25 PM  

Love the quilt - and what a cute name for it!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP