Shana Tova!

>> Wednesday, September 8, 2010

[Delicious, from Alexander Henry's new Farmdale collection.] 

Shana Tova U'Metukah
{A Happy and Sweet New Year}

Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year, begins tonight. As someone who has always lived according to the school calendar (my working days were all spent in schools and universities as well), the new year beginning in the fall makes a lot of sense to me. New opportunities, new starts, new chances all fit with summer slipping into fall. Eating apples and honey and hearing the sounds of the shofar (a ram's horn blown like a trumpet of sorts) are two elements that mark the Jewish new year. The holiday lasts for 2 days (this year, Wednesday sundown through Friday sundown) and is both festive (lots of delicious food) and serious (symbolic casting away of sins).

Whether or not one focuses on sin in a religious sense, this new year, like others, is a time for taking stock, reflecting on the past, and moving toward the future. It's less about resolutions and more about resetting. I'm certainly pleased that I'm entering the new year with exams in the past and new projects (work and fun) in the future.

5 comments:

Molly September 8, 2010 at 9:34 AM  

September re-energizes me and makes me feel fresh and full of possibilities. Even though I don't have a reason for school shopping I still love the peruse the notebook aisles and get some cool, clean blank ones and start some ambitious lists. Yay September!!

Lora September 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

i agree! fall definitely has more of a "new year" feel than january. and i love that part of the celebration includes the symbolic casting away of sins. "starting fresh"... i like the sound of that!
hope your Rosh Hashanah is a special and fun time for you and your family! :) lora
ps-check out my blog today if you get a chance- i'm having a giveaway for a handstamped sterling silver pendant!

Elsa September 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM  

thank you for this post. I've always felt that the fall is a time for renewal ~ more than the spring. I"m not Jewish, but now I understand more where that feeling comes from. I shall eat apples and honey this evening and take stock of my life and what lies ahead.

Unknown September 8, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

Happy New Year! Wishing you and yours a happy and healthy 5771!

Anonymous September 8, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Shana tova u'metukah!
-Sharon

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP