Windmill

>> Thursday, August 8, 2013






I have learned many things this summer, including the fact that mental blogging does not, it turns out, translate into actual blogging. Thus I have a bit of a blogging backlog to address--which is to say, to actually blog, rather than contemplate blogging while running, showering, doing dishes, walking dogs, or any other sundry activities. First up: Windmill.


This quilt started as an experimental block initially created to use the blue/green stripe (a Marimekko/Crate & Barrel outlet print). I had a vision for the block -- and the eventual quilt -- but plunged into sewing before I figured out the best way to make the block. The best way is not to paper piece the half-square-triangle-with-stripe and add a border, for, as the above image indicates, it's very hard to line up correctly. Had I paused and drafted a paper-pieced design for the whole block, well, that would have been smarter. But I didn't, at which point the block design changed to fit what I had and what precision I could handle.


Semi-bordered squares: perhaps they suggest motion more than stasis? Let's go with that line of argument. When my friends Ethan and Hagit had a baby this spring, I decided I should finish up this quilt top and send it off to Cincinnati, where they've graciously offered me meals and more when I was there for research last year.






At which point I realized I could use some fun Ed Emberley prints (dogs & frogs) for the back, and plucked some other coordinating prints from my stash. The quilting appears a little more clearly on the back -- I used elongated squiggles in the spokes of the windmill and stippling throughout the rest of the quilt. The thread became unintentionally variegated as the two spools of deep blue were not, as it turns out, exactly the same. But I'm cool with variation and impatient with shopping, so a mixture of blues turned out to serve my needs perfectly. I'm banking on Daniel not noticing for a long while, if ever...

4 comments:

Esch House Quilts August 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM  

Great quilt! The size of the rocks make the scale of the quilt a bit tricky to figure out :)

Boy do I wish mental blogging worked!!

Rebekah August 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM  

So pretty! Love the bright blue, it's really cheerful! :)

Amy Given Sewist August 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM  

I agree with you about thread - my last quilt had 4 different threads for quilting and finishing due to impatience.

I love the color and the design! I think you were right to leave them half bordered, what ever the reasons were behind it.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP