Sunspots

>> Thursday, August 22, 2013


I was not really prepared for the summer onslaught of babies. Lots of my friends had babies; few quilts were on their way or even gestating in my brain. But this quilt's concept, the fabric pull, and the mulling over of design started this winter, after I made this emerald quilt. I thought it would be cool to do a series of minimalist monochromatic quilts, all offset by a binding in a different color. And since I bound the emerald quilt with orange, I figured orange should be next in the sequence.

At one point I envisioned a giant asterisk quilt. But as June turned into July and I decided to make the orange quilt for the forthcoming bebe of my friends' Sarah and Danny (#2, actually), I was feeling less asterisk-y and more linear. I wanted to play the oranges off one another, and the slats of some blinds provided inspiration. Some Riley Blake circles helped finish off the quilt front when I ran out of the darker orange solid (measure before sewing, why bother?)


To contrast the linear nature of the design, I quilted a giant offset spiral, which is almost impossible to see, but I think conveys the idea of light streaming through an upstairs window. I am very pleased with the peppy aqua binding as well.


The primary backing fabric came all the way from Liberia. My roommate did some research there last summer and, knowing my love of fabric, brought me back a couple different pieces. The selvage on this one noted "veritable real wax super binta" on one side and "guaranteed real wax" on the other -- so definitely a legit batik print. Although I'm not a fabric pre-washer, there was a slightly waxy residue on the print and I wasn't sure how color-fast it was, so I did pre-wash it. After a washer-dryer cycle, it feels like old thick cotton sheets, and while there was a little bleeding of the navy dye, it was barely noticeable. Danny and Sarah departed Michigan for New Orleans in July, and I was pleased to be able to send Karl off to the land of beignets and jazz with his new quilt.

6 comments:

~Michelle~ August 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM  

So...your friends gestate humans, and you gestate quilts?? That seems OK to me...

Amy Given Sewist August 23, 2013 at 9:36 AM  

It's gorgeous! I do love orange, and the aqua binding is just a perfect counter point! And the backing is amazing, too...

Esch House Quilts August 23, 2013 at 9:41 AM  

Love, love, LOVE the idea of a series of minimalist monochromatic quilts! You're off to a great start with this one and the emerald one.

Christine @ sew bossi August 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM  

I really do like this one. I have many African prints and could not fathom how to use them in quilts without getting an over-busy effect. A fantastic idea!

Kelli August 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM  

Another great one! I love your style. It's so cheery and happy without being in your face or cutesy at all. Great job.
Oh, and that aqua binding. Awesome.

Carla September 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM  

I love the aqua with it. Thanks for sharing

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP