Amidst the Wildflowers

>> Friday, March 16, 2012

My phone battery is dying. This is not really a big deal, except that it aggravates me. And it bothers me not because every night my phone emits a low-grade whine, alerting me to its wounded state, a mere half-day after it juiced up overnight. That is indeed annoying. But what agitates me is technology's forced obsolescence. The phone -- a Samsung something for Verizon -- is a year and a half old. I use it to make phone calls and send an occasional text. I don't surf the web or take pictures or check my email on it. It replaced a phone I held onto for over 5 years. Because the only thing I want my phone to do is make phone calls. And have a battery that lasts longer than 12 measly hours. Especially when I am traveling. I mean I'm just walking around today, as I'm staying about 12 minutes away from the archive I'm using. But I'm away from home and like staying in touch with people. Actually being away from home is sort of irrelevant as most of the people I talk to on the phone regularly don't live where I live. Whatever. I just want manufacturers to make batteries that last for more than 18 months. I'm sure they are all listening to me and will get on this immediately. Because I asked so sweetly. Or something.

So my little rant above has next to nothing to do with sewing, crafting, or that lovely photo above. About that.

I'm in Cincinnati right now, and I was lucky enough to coordinate my visit with a friend whose Bubbe (Yiddish for grandma) lives here, and I stayed with my friend and her Bubbe for 4 nights. Obviously I needed to bring a gift, and I sent a few emails to my friend to ascertain what might be appreciated. And then ignored the options of flowers and chocolate in favor of playing with fabric. I made a challah cover using Rachel's improv curves Rainbow-Road concept. I took all the 5" solid squares I had handy in my scrap bin, chopped them in half-ish, and started to sew. All very random and improv-y, just the way I like it. Since spring wildflowers are my favorite part of my front yard, it seemed only right to photograph the challah cover in their midst and show off those cute yellow flowers, whatever they may be.

I actually made 3 challah covers in this style, with different color schemes, but the others are being transported to their destinations, and will therefore remain hush-hush for now. This might be the 2012 Challah-Cover style, since it's good to have a yearly go-to. And why not be a trendsetter in the dashing world of crafty Judaica? Ok, the archives have made me a little punchy. But with that, shabbat shalom and have a wonderful weekend.

4 comments:

~Michelle~ March 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM  

I swear, apple is trying to force me to upgrade, the latest software cripples the battery life on my 3GS. I'm trying to hold out until the newest iphone comes out... I'm also not helped by the fact that I'm in a cell phone black hole at work (seriously, how are there areas of Los Angeles w/out cell towers??), so the battery drains even faster.

Crafty Judaica, eh? LOL. Is it bad that I really want to yell "Holla!" chen I saw one of your challah covers...or the actual pretty bread?? Or does that just brand me as a wannabe Jewish hipster??

twelfthzodiac March 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM  

I love Rainbow Road all in solids! Okay..I think I like almost anything all in solids these days.

I awarded you the Liebster Award today :)

http://twelfthzodiac.blogspot.com/2012/03/little-of-this-that-liebster.html

Allison March 16, 2012 at 9:06 PM  

Hello! I'm popping over from Crazy Mom quilts - I loved reading your post! :) that first pic is awesome - beautiful patchwork beautifully photographed :) have a great weekend!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP