Celebrate Color: Fall Scarf

>> Saturday, November 12, 2011

I indulged in a little scarf-making this week. I'd been thinking about how I like reversible scarves but sometimes want more of each side of fabric to show when wrapped around my neck. At which point I realized stripes could be quite useful.

I sewed together 6" strips of the gray fabric (picked up from the $2.99 table at G-Street Fabrics. Maybe it's rayon? It's soft and silky and feels like something scarves are made from. I'm open to ideas) and 4.75" strips of the deep yellow pastry voile from Anna Maria Horner.

Then I sewed the long (86" or thereabouts) strips of yellow and gray together. I purposefully made them different widths so that I could flip them on the back. This added a little variety and avoided the need to line up seams. The voile + rayon were both a touch slippery, but pinning helped. And since it's a scarf, perfection is not necessary. I sewed the right-sides together, leaving about a 3" hole for turning, and then top-stitched about 1/8" from the edge.

I saw Rachel's interview with Lotta Jansdotter* a couple days ago, and I think this scarf gets at her Celebrate Color motifs. And now I have something to enter in the Celebrate Color pool!

*I'm loving her new Echo collection. I bought several half-yards at full price (which I never do online) from Tammy. They will become a quilt for the living room since the colors work perfectly.

3 comments:

Anonymous November 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM  

I love these colors together. I'm not "fashionable" enough to actually wear something like this, but I love the way it looks on others. (No, seriously, I'm such a fashion-dork. If I can manage pants, shirt, shoes, I count myself lucky. Accessories are beyond me.)

Karissa November 14, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

1. That is gorgeous! Looks really great, plus super comfy.

2. I am also in love with Echo but haven't snagged any yardage yet. I want to make an entire wardrobe out of it!!

Rachel at Stitched in Color November 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM  

Ooh, that is lovely! What a cool way to use those dobby dots.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP