Tutorial: How to Machine-Bind Your Quilt

>> Friday, June 10, 2011

I fully machine-bind my quilts. Back and front. No hand-stitching to finish. Call me a heretic, but I highly recommend it. It's fast, it's easy, it's even enjoyable. Sure, the stitches show on the binding, but if you blend your thread carefully, they only show if you look carefully. Or you can make them purposefully visible, as a design element. It's up to you.

Now, I admit that when I first started making quilts, binding was my least favorite part of the process. It may not have become my favorite, but I don't mind it. In a couple of episodes of Bones or Law & Order or NCIS or Criminal Minds (notice a pattern here), I can attached and complete the binding for a pretty big lap quilt. So when anyone asks me about how to get better at binding, my recurrent theme is practice, practice, practice. It's cliche, but I found that making challah covers really helped me figure it out. They're small and manageable and allow for a lot of binding practice in a short amount of time.

I've made a tutorial for my method of machine-binding your quilt (using double-fold binding). I asked a couple sewer friends, including Michelle, to read it over, but any errors are mine alone. I wrote it for a beginner audience, so that it's accessible to a new quilter. But a more experienced quilter can skip the first few steps about how to cut, sew, and press binding and move on to the method. The link below will take you to a downloadable pdf file, which allows you to print it and keep it near your sewing machine for reference. If you're unsure about a step or are confused or want more information, please leave a comment or email me.


This tutorial is for personal use only. 
If you want to teach it in a class, contact me before using and distributing it.

5 comments:

~Michelle~ June 10, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

Ooh, yay! I pinned your tutorial (www.pinterest.com/mpfox223)... and I have a friend I'm going to send this to :)

Michele June 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM  

Thank you for the tutorial. I have tried this once with little success, but maybe I will do better following your instructions.

The AfterCraft June 10, 2011 at 11:20 PM  

AMEN sista!!! I totally and shamelessly machine bind mine.

Katie B June 11, 2011 at 12:25 AM  

Criminal Minds is the best binding show! Thanks for the tutorial.

Karissa June 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM  

Thanks!! I've been doing more machine binding lately and I am feeling unapologetic about it as well! I could never get a double-fold method to work, so thanks for sharing yours! I've been doing a single piece that's pressed like double-fold bias tape, which works, but I like having more layers on the actual edge, and pressing all of that fabric after running it through the bias-maker is tedious, at best! I will definitely have to try this! Now to finish a quilt so that I can...

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP