Odds and Ends

>> Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Swim, Bike, Quilt
Kate is organizing 100 Quilts for Kids again this year, and she's trying to get the word out early for an early fall push. Every year I try to make and donate a few quilts (some years more than others, admittedly), and one thing I really like about this particular donation endeavor is that it focuses on local donations. So search out a local charity, hospital, school, etc and donate the quilt you make to them. This not only connects you to your local community and emphasizes local needs but also saves on shipping. What's not to love?

Malka just announced that Moda will be replicating and printing her hand-dyed fabrics. So while these won't be uniquely hand-dyed, they'll be pretty close and will make her unique look more accessible and affordable, which is great.

As I soldier on without my sewing machine, I've decided that hand-piecing and quilting are really not for me. I got myself a Sashiko kit and started it but haven't gotten very far. I should take a picture but that would admit and showcase my poor performance. Maybe I'll take one anyways. I like the idea in theory, I just want to be making other things. But I'm using this time to work on a quilt design based on a Hale and Hearty (a New York soup, salad, sandwich place) brochure. I thought I'd be able to find the brochure online, but I was wrong. Once I get it worked out, I'll post my drafts. I've also resolved to sew a garment this summer. It will be a July/August project, and I'm thinking of starting with Meg's Schoolhouse Tunic pattern since reviewers suggest that it's a good beginner option. After seeing Julie's Kyoko Dress, I'm also contemplating that option. Maybe for garment number 2. Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice on garment sewing and fabric selection? I'm all ears.

Total non-sequitur: if you've always wanted to go to Paris, here's a Parisian trip giveaway for you.

And with that, I'm off to get ready for Shavuot, one of my favorite Jewish holidays. This 2-day holiday is all about dairy -- blintzes, ice cream, cheesecake -- and includes all-night learning. I mean technically, it's a harvest festival falling exactly 7 weeks after the second day of Passover and celebrates the giving of the Torah (hence the all-night learning). But to my vegetarian self, the dairy is key. Also, it's traditional to read the Book of Ruth which is, I think, one of the most fascinating Biblical texts. So it contains a nice package of customs and such. Chag sameach to all who celebrate it.

4 comments:

~Michelle~ June 7, 2011 at 7:54 PM  

Uber-traditional Sashiko? I'm going to buy some of the white sampler fabric from purl before I go on vacay in October.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt June 7, 2011 at 9:19 PM  

Thanks for posting about 100 Quilts. Can't wait to see the quilts. A long time ago, I studied a lot of Hebrew. Reading Ruth in Hebrew was so fascinating... of course now about all I can say is hag sameach. I think some of the most beautiful lines of scripture are in Ruth. Enjoy :)

Lesly June 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM  

I was so thrilled to read about MD's line with Moda - now I can afford her stuff - at a remove, but still. Chag sameach! Bring on the grilled cheese! And mmmmmm blintzes!

Karissa June 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

No handwork for you? I'm becoming quite a fan of hand-piecing with my work on my Dear Jane quilt, though it certainly would be easier (and faster!) to do by machine. There's just something about making it more work for myself...!

As for garment sewing, I'm a big fan of skirts, because they're pretty easy, and they help get you over a fear of zippers fast (if you have one). I like the Built By Wendy books, especially Sew U, which has a fantastic A-line skirt pattern. Wendy does a really great job of explaining everything, like the importance of stay-stitching, how to use darts, etc, and has a pretty fool-proof non-invisible zipper insertion method that I love love love!

Outside of that, I made one dress from a Colette pattern and found it had an amazing fit (no adjusting!!) and I hear good things about the Anna Maria Horner patterns, of which I own two but have not tried yet. Hope that helps!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP