On Winning, Wanting, and Giving

>> Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The good: I won Terrain scraps straight from the designer, Kate Spain.
The bad: This delightful news made me crave, long, yearn for my sewing machine, or any sewing machine. I spent the day dreaming of things I would sew, both with the scraps and with other fabric.

Kate Spain has become one of my favorite fabric designers. For a while, I kept gravitating to her work without realizing it (mostly prints from her Verna line) and then I started seeking it out. I have a bunch of Fandango that I'm waiting to use -- inspiration, please strike.

I also have a Central Park quilt in progress that sort of stalled out. At first, I planned for that quilt to be for my room, but in the middle of sewing, I realized I wasn't thrilled with it. Then I realized that I was disappointed in my choice of a light yellow solid as the primary solid when, as I pieced the squares, I really wanted more zip. Or really more green, Moda grass to be precise. Which is sort of funny because green has never been a color that grabbed me. But suddenly it did, perhaps in solidarity with the coming of spring. But I didn't have enough fabric to easily switch or enough patience to rip out the old and start anew. Which is why it sits, mostly but not entirely pieced, in a ziplock awaiting my return. At which point I'll finish it and figure out what I'm going to do with it. Maybe I'll give it to someone else, maybe I'll sell it, maybe I'll use it as a picnic quilt. I think the yellow would look good against real grass in ways that it won't look as good against the blue walls of my bedroom. Hmmm.

Speaking of what to do with that quilt, as I was writing this post in my head earlier today (am I the only one who does that? I have several posts mentally "written" that need to make it through my fingers and the keyboard to the blog), I was thinking about an offhand statement Deborah made today. In a post about her current quilt project, she mentioned that the quilt will be only the second one she'll give away. I see comments like this and variations thereof -- e.g., I have so many quilts at my house, I need to do something else with this one -- not too infrequently, and they give me pause. I've given away far more quilts than I've kept. So I read those statements and wonder, "Do they not have friends/family celebrating milestones/getting married/having kids/etc for which they need/want to give gifts?" A lot of these people clearly give other handmade items -- bags, clothes, jewelry, etc -- as presents, so this is not written to suggest they are hoarding their handmade goodness. Rather, it's the recognition that quilts (including challah covers, table runners, and "smaller" quilts) are simply my go-to for a gift. Hell, last night I started thinking about a quilt for something years away, a quilt that may never make it out of my brain, but a quilt nonetheless. What are your go-to gifts? Any standards that never get old for you?

4 comments:

Lesly June 1, 2011 at 7:52 AM  

You won that giveaway? You are a lucky duck! I also give quilts away, but not my very favourite ones.

LT June 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

I don't write blog posts in my head (no blog), but I do write emails in my head. Unfortunately, sometimes I think that means that I actually wrote them!

Quilts are my go-to gift for babies now, since that's a longer timeline. The tote bag is becoming my go-to gift for a quicker turn around.

Have fun with the Terrain fabric - can't wait to see what you make!

Anonymous June 1, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

Quilts are my go-to gift for major events like weddings and births. Events that deserve commemoration. I think of a quilt as a long-term gift, something that will still be around fifty years from now (for a wedding), or in loving tatters when a child becomes an adult. I've been fortunate that those who have received quilts I've made seem to appreciate the idea and the effort that went into them. I've kept only a few of my finished quilts, although there are a number of UFOs that will be staying with me, too.

Kate S. June 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

Just found your blog from the comments on alamode! I have a vegetarian craft blog too... and Kate Spain is totally one of my favorite designers. You are so lucky to have won one of the Terrain scrap packs, I can't wait to see that line in person!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP