Practice Makes...Decent

>> Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I've been interested in the circle of geese block for a while, as in almost 2 years. A couple months ago, I finally printed the paper template, and recently I sketched out a quilt using this block. I decided to test it out first, which was a really good idea. Despite reading the very clear tutorial carefully, the first quarter-block was a mess. Had I not reused the paper template, I would show you just how much of a mess it was. Suffice it to say that I managed to use pieces that were too small and sew pieces together incorrectly. My second try was better, but somehow I sewed fabric to itself multiple times. The third try only required ripping out 2 pieced lines, while the my 4th version included only one episode of fabric sewed to itself (I pinned and everything but still accidentally folded fabric onto itself).

I really like the block, but it was wise to start with my scrap bin instead of the planned quilt fabric. I'm not sure how many of these blocks I have in me -- making one took a good 4 hours. I'd like to believe my next effort will go faster since I now know what I'm doing, but I'm sure I can find some new mistakes to make. I'm still trying to work out how to minimize fabric waste since I feel like I need to use much bigger pieces than necessary to ensure I fully cover each section.

In the meantime, I'm debating whether I want to make this block into a larger quilt or enlarge it slightly and create a challah cover. Either way, turquoise is definitely my dominant scrap color!

7 comments:

~Michelle~ April 26, 2011 at 5:53 PM  

I vote for larger & a challah cover... I need to try this block sometime, I have a major brain block when paper piecing triangles!

Sewjournal April 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

This block is gorgeous, well done. You sound so much like me. I had all sots of problems with an even simpler foundation pieced block so I think you did very well indeed to persevere and make such a lovely block. I'm also collecting turquoises at the moment and you obviously have a lovely collection judging by your scraps.

Elizabeth Dackson April 26, 2011 at 7:14 PM  

Well, you made it through one whole block, that's admirable! I just recently tackled this block for the first time in a bee, and holy moly, it was tricky. I think I had two or three completely awful attempts before I managed to make it through the whole block. A whole quilt like this would be just lovely...but I know for me it would test my sanity, so I'd vote for the challah cover if it were me :)

Leanne April 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

I am inspired by the fact that you made it to the end and the block is beautiful! I want to try this one too, but will keep it for an early morning rather than a tired evening.

Catskill Quilter April 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

Ohh, now you have me scared! I bookmarked that block to try it -- love the way it seems to float! Your block shown here is a definite keeper.

Katie B April 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM  

I made this for a bee recently too! Whew. I felt like it took every ounce of my brain power. I did think that it was a great choice for a bee block!

P.S. My gorgeous giveaway fabric arrived safely! I'm coming up with a plan. Thanks again!

Mimi May 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

That is so cool!!! I'm finally starting to sew again and even considering trying some new patters. This is super inspirational.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP