360 Degrees

>> Saturday, April 30, 2011

Or close to it. I finally pieced the inner circles for Lily's Quilt-Along. Since I lack easy (read: free) access to a printer right now, I had to make my own template, for which she handily gives instructions here. Her instructions assume, however, that one has a compass handy. And I don't. It's one of many things I lack as I live nomadically this spring. Actually, that's not exactly true. I don't think I've owned a compass since 9th grade geometry, and I'm sure I don't have one in Michigan. But somehow I feel like I could find one to borrow there more easily.

However, the absence of such tools merely calls for a little creativity. In this case, I started by tracing a plate that produced an 8.5" diameter circle, and proceeded to use my ruler to make marks denoting a 3.75" radius, after which I connected the marks, and cut out my circle template. Geometry class didn't go to waste, even if I never figured out how to write simple, elegant proofs instead of long, inelegant ones.

But I digress. I sewed a circle into the dresden plate! Rather than appliquing it on top. I recognize this may not be meaningful to more than a handful of people who read this, but I feel quite good about this accomplishment and newly acquired knowledge/ability. And I could not care less that it is imperfect.

4 comments:

felicity May 1, 2011 at 2:45 AM  

Count me in one of the handful - way to go!! I adore the fabrics you've chosen.

zebracar May 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM  

Great job win the circle. I'd like to tackle that some day!

Molly May 1, 2011 at 1:21 PM  

Looks perfect to me. I'm VERY impressed!! Tackling a circle is on my "to learn" list for this year.

Karissa May 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

I'm impressed, too! It seems a bit scary, especially after spending all that time piecing the outer "blades" of the plate! Great job!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP