Inspiration From Below

>> Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A couple weeks ago I was walking by the new Newseum. It was a gray, rainy day, and was still drizzling as I walked past on my way to lunch with friends. In an effort to not wipe out, I paid more attention to the ground beneath my feet than I usually do. I noticed that the bricks were not standard-issue red or poured concrete. Rather they were these marvelous shades of purple, mauve, and orange.

After leaving the archives today, I went back to the Newseum with the primary purpose of taking pictures of these bricks. The color -- the dusky but saturated cool purples and warm oranges -- and layout both strike me as the foundation for a lovely quilt, perhaps made of solids or a combination of solids and shot cottons. Solids have really taken off as the basis for quilts lately, and it's a trend I'm really enjoying. I know my stockpile of solids has grown considerably over the past year, and I look forward to using them.

2 comments:

Elsa February 9, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

I, too, have been taking inspiration from structure and nature. Started a class at a local art college in my town and it's totally changed how I see things.
Looking forward to seeing what you do with your inspiration.

Lee February 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

Ooh, this will be cool. I love looking for inspiration in odd places - the other day I noticed a freeway retaining wall with a pattern that I liked and actually thought about pulling over to take a picture. I still might go back there! : )

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP