The Last Half-Dozen

>> Saturday, February 5, 2011

I've been plugging away at blocks for a quilt. They're 12"x12" string blocks, and I've learned that it takes me about 1 hour to make 2. I'm making 30 in total, and have 6 left to complete. By the end of the weekend, I should have them done, and if I'm diligent, may even have a quilt top pieced. Following a tip from Cara, I'm using scrapbook paper as the foundation of the blocks (I considered making her urban lattice quilt, but ultimately opted for a string quilt).

It's mostly black and white, with a splash of red -- in the center and randomly inserted into the blocks. I'm not totally sure about the random red strings, but I think they'll add a bit of interest to the overall quilt. Piecing the string blocks onto paper makes me excited to try out some other paper-pieced blocks. Until then, however, I've got 6 more blocks to finish...

4 comments:

Molly February 5, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

I can't wait to see these blocks. Keep going!!

Anonymous February 5, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

Awww, too bad you're almost done.... there's a great tutorial here http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wordpress/2010/08/a-string-quilt-tutorial/ and it shows how you can make 5 blocks in about half an hour.
Can't wait to see yours finished!

- Kimberlee

two hippos February 6, 2011 at 10:09 AM  

Thanks for the tip, Kimberlee! I'll keep it in mind for any future string blocks.

~Michelle~ February 7, 2011 at 12:54 PM  

Ooh, I think strings are such a pain - good for you for tackling them! Can't wait to see the final product!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP