Sunny Days

>> Sunday, November 28, 2010


Happy Birthday Mom! I hope it remains sunny and gets a little warmer. We've enjoyed several sunny, if brisk, November days this past week. A few posts ago, my mom requested a dresden plate challah cover for her birthday, and I obliged with this sunny one. Her favorite color is yellow, so I knew I would use yellow in it somewhere.

I took out a bunch of rich fall-colored fabrics to play with before deciding on the combination of this Anna Maria Horner yellow print, some Kaffee Fassett pebbles, and a cranberry solid. I made the dresden plate spikes first and played around with various layouts before settling on the rising sun from the left.

I like how the dresden plate falls off the frame into the edge. Initially I thought about using the cranberry solid as a binding but ultimately determined that the yellow was brighter and more fun.


On the back, I combined some of the pebbles from the front with another Anna Maria Horner print, the leaves from her Garden Party line. On the right, if you squint hard enough, you can see the outline of the dresden plate from the front. This time, I decided to make the applique of the plate part of the quilting process, so the back mirrors the front, with both the dresden plate and the parallel horizontal lines. I gave this to my mom a couple days early, on Friday, so we could use it Friday night.

5 comments:

sews1128 November 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

I just love the bright, yellow sun/Dresden plate challah cover. Thanks for honoring my birthday request. I know you have been ultra busy lately. Love, Mom

Abby and Stephanie November 29, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Like a ray of sunshine. Great fabrics. Love the half dresden. I have Christmas ones pinned and ready to stitch. Happy birthday to you Mom. She's lucky to have a talented daughter.

Elsa November 29, 2010 at 10:58 AM  

saw that yellow right, it's really lovely! your Mom will love it!

PioneerValleyGirl November 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

lovely gift - i like both the warm colors and the rising sun dresden

Suzanne December 13, 2010 at 2:16 PM  

This is a very pretty combination of color and design.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP