Patchwork

>> Monday, July 26, 2010

Sometimes I like piecing backs more than making the quilt front. I had this epiphany the other night when I squeezed in a tiny bit of sewing for a baby quilt. The quilt top is complete, and I'm very happy with it. As I've been doing more and more often, I took the pile of leftover fabric pieces -- strips and rectangles and squares -- and used them as a starting point for the quilt back. I didn't have a real plan and simply started cutting a piecing. There will definitely be a patchwork section (2" to start, 1.5" square when sewn together), some larger pieces of fabric from the front, and a solid. I haven't decided on the solid yet, but it will be one of the ones from the patchwork section. I am full of admiration for people who make big patchwork quilts since they require a ton of work. Just the little section I've got represented a couple hours of work and that included some strip piecing.

As I worked on this, I realized how liberated I felt to just piece and see what happens. I think the patchwork section will be oriented horizontally, but I might switch to vertical. I'm not sure yet and I don't mind one bit. It's fun to let the piecing direct the design rather than faithfully execute a plan. I suppose this method works for me precisely because it's not the way I generally operate. I'm all about plans and lists and step-by-step work. But when the creative side gets to play, it rejects those plans and lists and patterns. Usually, anyways!

Totally off-topic: I just learned about these custom-made vegan shoes. Made in Ethiopia with recycled materials. So cool. And totally reasonable prices --  $38 plus $14 for shipping seems as good as you can get for custom-made shoes. How they fit, I have no clue. But perhaps my friend who will be moving to Ethiopia in less than a month can find out for us.

Only mildly off-topic: I need a new iron, and my cheap frugal side says buy a cheap iron since the last cheap iron lasted 4+ years. That's less than $2.50 per year. But then I wasn't convinced the current cheapies were heavy enough and thus didn't leave the store (Target) with a new iron -- cheap and light or slightly more expensive and heavier. I'm not even sure what weight would be good for an iron, so I chalk this up to being totally indecisive and overthinking everything. I also contemplated buying a shiny metal trashcan for the kitchen since I'm not overly fond of the plastic one currently in use but my cheap frugal side said that the plastic one was perfectly serviceable and thus will stay until it cracks or something.

4 comments:

PioneerValleyGirl July 26, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

I love piecing this way - much more fun for me that following every detail of a plan.


(And on the irons: I just bought a cheap Target iron and I'm not thrilled with it. This one's really light - even with water in for steam - and for whatever reason it just seems to catch on seams instead of gliding over and pressing them.)

Abby and Stephanie July 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM  

Looks like you have something pretty in the works. I've had cheap and expensive irons. A sore subject amongst most quilters. I broke down and bought an expensive Oliso. A wonderful companion, no dribbling, big bursts of steam, and a 30 minute shut-off delay.

Anonymous July 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

If you are looking for a cheap iron, why not check the Re-Use Center on S. Industrial, Treasure Mart, or Salvation Army? You never know what people will donate because they need the room or want an upgrade. Even if you don't end up finding an iron, you still get to have fun exploring.

--amy

sews1128 July 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

Go for the heavier iron. I like the idea of checking out thrift stores and/or The Salvation Army. I gave my extra iron to J (actually he took it!)

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP