Embracing the Mess

>> Monday, September 7, 2009

I hate messes and messiness. I straighten, organize, put away, and neaten on a regular basis. I make my bed every morning, I do the dishes while I cook, and I can tell you exactly where to find any book I own (crazy, I know).

But improv quilting is a messy affair. Last night I started the second quilt for the Miracle Foundation, another improv log cabin quilt. I cut strips, ironed them, and placed them into piles by color and length (did I mention I organize things compulsively?). And then I started making the blocks, at which point the neat piles turned into a disaster. I'm resisting the urge to straighten and reorganize the piles, knowing full well that they'll return to the messy mountain-like pile in minutes. Instead I cleaned up all the rest of the fabric that had strayed from the bins and took pictures of the mess.

So it's a good mess, and I'm trying to embrace it as I make progress on those log cabins.

Speaking of which, if you're looking for a tutorial on wonky log cabins, head over to Quilt Dad's blog where he's posting a variety of ways to make blocks (starting with the basic improv log cabin block). I'm a little more inlcined toward finger pressing and a little less dedicated to ironing each block every single time I add a log, but otherwise my steps follow his.

4 comments:

Grace September 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

pretty colors. i see the pink i sent you...

i linked to one of your veggie recipes today...

Jocelyn September 7, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

It's a good mess. Can't wait to see the next Miracle quilt!

Becky September 7, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

The older I get the less I organize. At least less than I did in my 20's. I used to alphabetize my spices for goodness sake! And I only used like 6!

I love your improv quilting idea! Looks like fun.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP