Improv Quilting

>> Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jacquie over at Tallgrass Prairie Studio (home of this sweet wonky log cabin quilt) is spurring and organizing some improv quilting.

Jacquie's "Square Motion" quilt, her first improv quilt and one that I much admire.
(Image from her website)

What does improv quilting or "quilting outside the box" or "quilting outside the lines" mean?

As she says,
I have done several log cabin quilts, most of them improvisationally, but I have barely scratched the surface of all the possibilites for improvisation of this traditional block. These are some of the things that we could explore: variations of the construction of the block itself, the fabrics we use, how we cut our fabric (rotary, scissors, tearing), color/pattern combinations, wonkiness (of course), sizes of the logs. What other ideas do you have?
As part of her larger project to encourage improv quilting, she's creating an improv collaboration to make charity quilts. All you need to do is make one 12.5" improv log cabin block in one of the following color combos: blue/green, red/aqua, orange/pink. Check out her post for more information and signing up.

If you've been thinking about quilting, this could be a great way to start. All you have to do is piece one block. All you need (i.e. the very basics) is some fabric, some thread, a pair of scissors, and a needle. In other words, you could hand-piece this block if you don't have a machine. And because it's improv and wonky, you don't even need a rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting board to cut straight and evenly. Just think about....now click the link...read the post...and sign up. I promise that if you choose to do this, I'll make myself available for all consultation and walking you through the basics of patchwork piecing.

I'm looking forward to playing -- and log cabin blocks are excellent for digging into the scrap stash. I'm looking forward to participating in quilting beyond the confines of my home (which is nice and all, but it's nicer to work with others). And I'm looking forward to seeing what smart and brilliant blocks others design and how they all fit together into some bigger quilts.

1 comments:

Cathie April 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Thanks for the heads up. I have just discovered improv and mod quilting and it was love at first sight. I "modernized" my stash last week by buying some updated large scale prints and bold colors and am starting my first improv quilt project today. I'm off now to check out prairie's blob and look closer at your blog. thanks so much!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP