A White Kitchen

>> Friday, October 10, 2008

Continuing the slow-moving apartment tour...my very white kitchen:

Outside of the picture on the left is the refrigerator and sink, while the (gas) oven is barely in the picture on the right. The highlight of the kitchen is certainly not the very 1960s yellow-green linoleum (barely visible at the bottom of the picture), but the original 1925 floor-to-ceiling cabinets in the middle of the picture. Ample cabinet space is a lovely, lovely thing.

I'm thinking of painting the walls (and possibly the middle indented section of the cabinets) a deep orange, the color of the spine of Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World. [Thank you, Claire, for an amazing birthday present.] Alas, the link does not show the spine which has a much prettier orange than the cover, but if you hover over the book image and click on "back flap," you can see the nice orange on the right edge of the image shown. Had you asked me as a child and adolescent whether I would ever consider painting anything orange, much less walls, I would have vehemently shook my head. My brother has always been the orange-lover, but I had to see more examples of deep reddish-oranges and fewer instances of bright orange to be convinced. I now see a place for ruch autumnal oranges inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous October 10, 2008 at 1:14 PM  

Oh, I so want those cabinets. Maybe you could start by painting the walls and see how much that adds, color-wise, before painting the inside panels. The cabinets are so gorgeous as is.

two hippos October 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

I'm fairly certain I'll start with the walls and go from there. I saw a picture somewhere of a kitchen with painted walls and the middle of the cabinets painted to match which is where I got the idea, but I'll probably wait and see on that. Of course, when this painting will actually take place is another matter altogether.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP