Friday Recipe: Easy, Low-Fat Quiche

>> Friday, October 10, 2008

I think Friday is going to be recipe day. Today's option is my mom's (via my cousin Bob's) low-fat quiche.


I often make this quiche crustless, in which case, just follow the quiche recipe below and bake it sans crust. You may buy crusts (though finding decent non-lardy crusts is often a challenge) or you can make a crust using this very simple recipe (it takes all of 5 minutes, I swear).

Quiche Crust
Makes 1 crust

1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. cold water (either from the fridge or melted ice or really cold tap water)

1. Mix the flour and salt in a medium size bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil and water.
3. Pour the oil/water mix into the flour/salt mix.
4. Mix until dough forms.
5. Roll out dough or simply place it into an 8" or 9" pie pan and push it out to cover the pan [I find that the rolling pin actually makes this easier and quicker].
6. Fill with quiche mixture (one option below) and bake.

Low-Fat Quiche
Makes 1 quiche (~4 servings)

6 oz. low-fat mozzarella, shredded or diced
1/2 c. low-fat mayo
4 eggs (or the equivalent in egg beaters)
1 egg white
salt and pepper
other spices (e.g., dill, oregano, etc -- just depends on the flavor you want)
Veggies (e.g., onions, spinach, broccoli, etc. I hear some people like mushrooms, I wouldn't know)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients. Mix well.
3. Add veggies and spices. Mix well.
4. Pour into pie pan or crust.
5. Cook for 20 minutes at 450 degrees.

Enjoy.
Notes:
*I usually make 3 quiches at a time. Just triple each recipe and follow the directions as written. Then divide the quiche mixture into 3 pans as evenly as you can.

*Quiche freezes well. If you want single servings for later, cut each quiche into quarters and freeze the quarters individually (in baggies, saran wrap, or tupperware).

*The recipe is versatile. Add as many or as few veggies and spices as you'd like. Try mixing up the cheeses -- half mozzarella and half cheddar, half mozzarella and half havarti...the options are endless.

If you have a particular recipe you'd like me to share, leave a note in the comments section, and I'll do what I can.

9 comments:

Anonymous October 10, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

Mmm, I love this recipe. I should use this to deal with the massive overload of veggies we're experiencing from the CSA.

two hippos October 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM  

Yeah, CSA Quiches! I think that's a great idea. You could have a quiche party.

Annie October 12, 2008 at 9:55 PM  

I ate this quiche and it was AMAZING!

Anonymous October 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

Thanks. I've never made a quiche and this was easy and a hit! I'll be doing it again soon. I love the idea of freezing them. Easy lunches for work.
Thanks again :)

Unknown November 3, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

I need to work this quiche into our regular dinners! and then get my kids to eat it :)

Thanks for sharing!

Jeanne November 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

This looks great! I'm definitely going to try it.

beth November 10, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

looks really easy to make
we are going to try and make it today
thank you for posting it. :)

Anonymous June 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM  

Just made this and it was fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP