Vegetarian Winter Boots

>> Thursday, September 24, 2009


To the best of my knowledge, it is not yet winter anywhere. As I love fall (or autumn, if you prefer), I'm quite happy with this state of affairs. Actually, it's been more summery than fall-y near me of late, though tonight's temperature suggests inching toward fall. A few leaves are starting to change color and I've seen apple cider in the grocery store. Nevertheless, while the calendar claims fall has arrived, I'm not completely convinced.

And while the inevitable snow is, I hope, many months away, I've spent years looking for warm, stylish (somewhat?), and vegetarian winter boots. It's very challenging to find boots without leather or suede. I have a pair of winter hiking boots, all rubbery and thermo-something-lined. They are excellent for walking in snow, preferably on hiking trails covered with snow. But they are heavy and clunky and just not pleasant for day-to-day trekking about. A friend of mine recently pointed me toward Bogs Boots, which, after a little investigation, do appear to be vegetarian.

At least the Classic High version seems to be. They apparently keep one's feet toasty through -40 degree weather, which I hope I don't encounter this winter. They look kind of fun (and certainly not drab). And it's possible to get them for at least $10 cheaper on non-Bogs websites. So here's the real question: are they comfortable? Do any of you have experience with Bogs footwear? Are they worth the investment? Inevitably, given the lack of available options, I'll probably order them and find out, but before I do, I'd love to hear if any of you have tried these boots before. Love them? Hate them? Feel they're fine but nothing more? Tell me!

4 comments:

Annie September 26, 2009 at 11:07 PM  

wow-- that friend sounds amazing!

Annie September 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

oh-- and ps....they sell them at the Birkenstock store across from the Co-op

Emily October 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

Vegetarian winter boots--it's about time! My winter boots are always sneaking into my fridge during the day and drinking all my chicken broth.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP