>> Thursday, September 10, 2009
I spent the morning binding the chuppah for Beth and Harley (it really needs a more catchy and descriptive name...I'm still waiting for the epiphany or the revelation in the form of a comment by one of you!).
I wasn't sure what fabric to use for the binding -- to be honest, I didn't have enough yardage of many of the dark fabrics (the binding required a touch over a half-yard) so I only had 2 dark options from which to choose. Which raised the question of whether one of the medium or light variations would work, or whether a multi-fabric binding would be better. I decided that a medium or light binding might distract too much. While it might pull the eye toward the light center, I thought it might frame the chuppah too well, and stop the eye from meandering across the chuppah which is more interesting to me. I've used multi-fabric bindings before, but I thought it would be too busy here. There's so much going on in the center that I want viewers to see that I decided the quilt needs a single fabric binding. So I was back to 2 choices, and I'm really glad I opted for the green dots. It fits well in the medium/dark range and pulls the whole design together.
I'm going to wait until after the wedding to post any more full pictures so you're stuck with several views of the binding for now. I had fun playing with my camera and the little sunlight peeking through the clouds this morning.