Scarves Times Six

>> Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sometimes I get ideas in my head and I just have to follow through, regardless of the consequences. Last Wednesday night, before I packed for my long weekend trip to Vermont, I decided I should make a little surprise present for the friends I would be hanging out with over the weekend. These aren't just any friends, but college teammates with whom I spent a lot of time back in the day. We're now scattered across the country but try to see one another once a year. Or maybe this year it will be twice? It's an informal thing, it starts with an email from one of us, and then all the sudden we're coordinating travel plans and getting excited to see each other really soon.

One of the things I love about spending time with people I've known for a long time is that we don't need to do anything. We hang out, we cook, we eat, we drink, we talk, we eat, we drink, we talk, and so on and so forth. There's no pressure, and we're all just ourselves in raw form. It's delightful.

A few months ago, one of my awesome former teammates suggested I should make us matching belts. I recalled this last Wednesday and opted for non-matching scarves, given the time constraints. So the consequence was not going to bed until 3.30 am last Thursday (and waking up at 6 am to catch a flight). The other consequence was the fun squealing about what could possibly be surprise #3 (we were on the same page about bringing surprises...and brownies. We consumed a lot of brownies). I wrapped the scarves in different fun papers, and since I did so at about 6.20 am, I had no idea what was in each one. Everyone got to pick a wrapped package and open it to a surprise scarf, myself included.

It was really fun to mix and match fabrics, using some of the same ones in different combinations and throwing in a couple of small pieces I was savoring until just the right moment. While making 6 in one night cost me sleep, it was totally worth it and I'd do it again. Although maybe next time I'll start a little earlier.

2 comments:

Unknown September 3, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

i enjoyed your post almost as much as i am enjoying my new scarf!

Micki September 5, 2009 at 4:35 AM  

I love all of the fabrics! Just lovely!
Micki

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP