Fabric + Quilt-Along

>> Friday, June 5, 2009

What can I say? Peer pressure gets me every time. I decided to join OldRenBarnCo's Quilt-Along. I thought I'd use this as a stash-buster, but now I've decided to make it into a partial stash-buster + piece a summer duvet cover for my room. I've been thinking about what color combo and design to use for a while, and I keep coming back to a blue/red/yellow/black/white combo. Seeing this fabric in person (and buying a half-yard) at Eddie's Quilting Bee sealed the deal.

I have a bunch of fabrics in my stash that will complement it. I think only a good yellow is missing, and I'm on the lookout for it on my last couple of days in CA. Because I joined the quilt-along late, I'll be doing some catch-up early next week. I just need to check the measurements and figure out how many blocks and strip sets I need for a full duvet top. I'm thinking of following Amy's modifications -- 5 fabric strip-set cut into 4 10.5" blocks to maximize fabric usage.

As I troll through several local quilt shops tomorrow, I'm also on the lookout for Michael Miller's Jewel Tones collection. I think these three fabrics would make a lovely apron to complement my new orange kitchen.

Beatrice Dream

Beatrice Bloom

Espresso Flower Shower

Espresso Night Owls (perhaps as the apron pocket?)

I know I can buy these online, here for example, but while I have the chance to see and touch real fabric, it's nice to believe I could find it locally and also support a local fabric shop. If not here, then maybe back home here.

And while it doesn't coordinate at all, this fabric from the Happy Tones collection makes me smile.

I am such a sucker for Michael Miller collections. Alas, I didn't see any today. Except on my screen, which doesn't count when in proximity to brick-and-mortar local quilt shops.

3 comments:

Micki June 5, 2009 at 10:29 AM  

I love Michael Miller too...Have fun with quilt-a-long.
The fabrics are great!
Micki

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales June 5, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

You've been shopping at one of my favorite local quilting stores, Eddie's. Have you ever gone to The Granary on Mary at Fremont? They have a great little shop with the nicest ladies. For some reason I didn't think that you were in Northern CA. On a trip up here?

That last print is absolutely adorable!

two hippos June 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

I stopped by the Granary earlier today, and the women who work there are wonderful. I'm just visiting my old stomping grounds and wish my new ones had as many local quilt store options.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP