A Commissioned Quilt? Well, Sort of.

>> Tuesday, June 30, 2009


I received a very surprising and exciting email from Jade over at Craft Hope. She let me know she had received the quilt I sent, used it in her most recent post, and taken it into the Miracle Foundation to show them. They were apparently very pleased (even impressed!?!) with the quilt, and especially loved the reds, oranges, and yellows, all colors common in India. They asked Jade to ask me if I would be willing to make more to hang in the walls of the orphanage as art!

I was shocked and excited to receive this request. After asking whether it was ok if the quilts were completed after the Craft Hope July 25 deadline and finding out the delay would be fine (no sewing machine access until August precludes making anything until then), I said yes. Of course, I said yes; I don't think I could possibly have said no. It's not every day I get asked to make art for orphanages (or, let's be honest, anywhere)!

In conjunction with this new project, I have a request to make of you and those you may know. I depleted much of my red/pink/orange/yellow scrap pile making the last quilt, and now need to acquire more warm color fabric. If you have any scraps you're willing to donate or trade, please be in touch. I can't send you anything until August when I'm back in the same state as my fabric stash, but I would be happy to arrange swap your scraps (of a range of sizes) for scraps, fat quarters, and other amounts of fabric to amass a varied stash for these quilts. I'm open to a range of fabrics, the pretty and the ugly, the excellent and the not-so-amazing, because in a scrap quilt, the diversity of fabrics helps make the quilt. When I send the quilts to the Miracle Foundation, I will credit everyone who contributes fabric of any amount. Thank you!

8 comments:

~Michelle~ June 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM  

Absolutely, I'm in once I dig thru my scraps to see what I have - let me know where I can send some scraps (and I really want nothing in return).

Grace June 30, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

How wonderful!! Your quilt is amazing. I am working on my little flannel receiving blankets still - and I'm going to do some hankies for the current CraftHope project.

I have some scraps. Email me your address and I'll send some. Give me a size for the smallest scrap you could use.

Lise June 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

I LOVED your quilt (and was intimidated, as I'll be sending Craft Hope my newbie attempt at a quilt). I'll be glad to contribute some scraps--I haven't much of a stash, but I'm sure I could find some of those colors. :-) Lise

Jocelyn June 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

I would be happy to donate some fabric as well. Let me know where and when to send it :-)

Jen July 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I would be happy to donate some scraps. Just e-mail me at needtosewblog@yahoo.com with a shipping address and any size specifications.

Thanks!
Jen

Anonymous July 2, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

I'd love to contribute, and I have plenty of stash to dig through! I have warm colors in every size imaginable, so let me know if you have any size preferences. Email me at piecemealquilts (at) sbcglobal (dot) net.

Allison July 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

That's awesome! That quilt is beautiful, I would stare at it all day if it was hanging on my wall! Thanks for stopping by! -Allison

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP