Tibetan Orange Makes Me Very Happy

>> Monday, May 18, 2009

It's amazing what a $17 can of paint and some time can do to a kitchen.

After living with the white kitchen (and *charming* mustard linoleum floors) for almost a year, I decided it was high time to make the kitchen look better. While the floor is, alas, here to stay for the time being, the wall color could change more easily.

Before:


And after (I'm afraid the pictures don't do the lovely deep orange with hints of red justice, but it's the best I've got):

Even the floor looks better with the new wall color.

It's so much warmer and inviting inside now.
I think a few plants on top of the fridge might be a nice addition as well.

My cookbooks and recipe box and scotch.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to touch the cabinets. Part of me feels like enough is enough and the other part of me thinks painting the outside of the cabinet rectangle (in other words, leave the centers and the frame white and painting the middle) would be even better. Any thoughts? In the meantime I plan on recovering the wall clock to make it fit and make it more interesting.

7 comments:

Rachel May 18, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

Oooh, I LOVE that color! I think the cabinets are fine, they look good with the walls. Perhaps some more accessories on the walls? Maybe something framed in a frame with a clear matt and then a frame, that might be cute!

Torie May 19, 2009 at 12:46 AM  

Leave the cabinets--they're lovely as they are.

Micki May 19, 2009 at 3:26 PM  

I love the colours that you used. Joe and I will be painting our home too. It really makes such a difference. It looks great!
Micki

Deirdre May 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

I wouldn't touch the cabinets..it might feel too boxed in if they were painted, or too busy. White is pretty with the orange/red :)

Anonymous May 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

What a huge difference! I agree that the floor looks much better (almost like it's a funky statement piece) with the new wall color.

Enjoy your "new" kitchen!

two hippos May 19, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Thanks for all your lovely comments! I think you're all correct that the cabinets should stay as they are, and the walls need some artwork. I'm open to all ideas!

Linnea June 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

This kitchen is just adorable. I love those cabinets! I'm so glad other people also feel that they should stay the way they are. The paint color on the walls works so well with the white. And orange...seriously...the best kitchen color ever...I think it makes the food taste better even :)

As far as artwork on the walls are concerned, just make sure it's easy to keep clean. kitchens have a knack coating things in oil and dust

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP