Circalicious

>> Monday, July 25, 2011

Slow, slow progress on the quilting front. To be honest, the combination of renovation, moving, planning future research trips, and the gross gross heat, not much has happened, craft-wise. Also, the moving meant returning my sewing machine to its vacation spot at my parents' house as I didn't want to clutter up my brother's current apartment with my sewing machine as he's moving out shortly (provided the fixer-upper bathroom gets finished soon). Anyways...

Before waving goodbye to my sewing machine (I really need a name for it, any suggestions?), I played around with piecing circles a la Fleming. I used this tutorial and watched this video before cutting into anything. Overall I like the method, though I need to practice more to get perfectly flat circles. I think it's very forgiving, as any slight flaps should disappear upon quilting. I don't have a fully worked out plan for this quilt, but there will be more Terrain circles. Everything else is subject to change.

Also, the grey fabric is Moda Charcoal. I have to say that while I generally love Bella Solids, I'm a little disappointed in both Charcoal and Slate. I had ordered them hoping they would be similar to Kona's versions, but they're not. While it may be hard to see in the picture, they're too green to be true charcoal or slate. They'll work but they're not as versatile as true greys would be; however, since my Solids swap partner loves olive/artichoke greens, I think these greys will be perfect to use in conjunction with that project. Now I just need to decide what to make her.

2 comments:

Karissa July 25, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Great start! Sorry to hear about the grays... I've run into something similar before, too. It certainly does seem a little odd.

I highly recommend naming your machine! What kind do you have? I got my new one 1-1/2 years ago and named her Gloria Jem, because she's glorious (I know...!) and a Husqvarna-Viking Sapphire, so I wanted to preserve the "jewel" part of her name. A name really personalizes a machine--in a really weird way!

Anonymous August 15, 2011 at 8:46 PM  

Thanks for the link to the video!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP