A Neapolitan Quilt

>> Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I must confess, I don't like strawberry ice cream. Never did. Which meant I never liked Neapolitan ice cream. Vanilla is lovely, chocolate is fine, and strawberry can go away (sorbet is a different story, it's the mix of dairy and fruit that doesn't work for me).


That notwithstanding, I really love this quilt. I received several of the pinks in it through a swap earlier in the year and, as I don't use pink all that much, took a while to figure out what I wanted to do with them. I finally decided that pink and brown were the way to go; toss in some cream, a dash of yellow, and a spot of blue, and it all turned into this delicious stripy quilt.

I went improv-ish on this one, in that I cut strips of varying length, sewed them together, and then trimmed each of the 4 bigger sets into strips of the same length. I added a little cream sashing between the stripe sets, and, voila, the quilt was complete. I quilted straight lines down the cream sections and alternating zig-zags down the strip sets. I like it. And it's now washed, crinkly, and really soft.

Except for the back, of course. Where I opted for a cream with dark brown flowers and added a composite of strips leftover from the front. I then bound the quilt with a brown fabric with cream flowers.

And now it's off to my friends' Lauren and Aaron's new girl, currently referred to as Pickle, to be named for real on Friday.

5 comments:

Michelle August 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

That is absolutely beautiful! I love how the look together.

Becky August 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM  

I love that color combination and the stripes! What beautiful work!

Candice @ Made With Love August 12, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

The quilt really pops! I love the color combination as well! :)

Micki August 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM  

It's a wonderful quilt! The colours are amazing!
Micki

lauren August 24, 2009 at 10:51 PM  

Pickle loves it! She is sleeping underneath it right this very second.

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP