Quilting

>> Sunday, April 19, 2009

I used to say I didn't quilt. "I just piece fabric together," I would tell people. They rarely believed me, though technically it was pretty true. The piecing part of making a quilt--the selecting the fabric, cutting it, and sewing it together--interested me the most. I didn't really know how to quilt, and I certainly didn't have a walking foot or a darning/free-motion foot. Truth be told, I still lack those feet (they didn't come with the sewing machine inherited from my grandmother, so I don't have them. One day, I tell myself, I 'll purchase them. And I really would like to be able to stipple quilt, but I'm getting ahead of myself).

But after a while the lure of actual quilting beckoned. The internet provided the incentives and the models. Blogs portrayed gorgeous quilts, first as pieced fronts, then as fully quilted quilts. I got more interested in exploring this new terrain. I realized I didn't need to do stitch-in-the-ditch, and I could even move beyond simple straight lines and diagonals. It was liberating to realize that I could free-motion quilt. No, it's not stippling, but it is free-motion. Like usual, I ignored the rules, didn't draw lines or mark the quilts before plunging in with (sewing machine) needle and thread. I found myself somewhat intoxicated by actual, real-live texture created by quilting. It sucked me in. And so I quilted, in an unplanned fan-like design. Until the thread ran out. Finishing the most quilted quilt I've ever done will have to wait.

And a big welcome to all the folks stopping by through the link from Blogger Festival. Thank you for your sweet compliments!

6 comments:

Nicole April 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM  

I love the colors you choose for your quilt. And the designing, planning, choosing the fabric and piecing part is my fun part of making a quilt, too. Getting it finally quilted is more of an ordeal. If it turns out well I love it, but struggling with no folds in the back and not perfect in all the techniques makes it so much harder.

And every type of quilting gives it its special touch anyway.

I just have to accept my perfectly imperfect quilts.

Kerri April 20, 2009 at 2:00 AM  

oh, this is so stunning!! love it!!

Micki April 20, 2009 at 3:15 AM  

Your machine quilting is excellent, and I am just now getting into free motion quilting and design work. I have done hand quilting in the past. I love the colours that you chose, and it is truly lovely!
Micki

Anonymous April 20, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

What a beautiful quilt! You're very brave to dive right in, and the results are wonderful.

I do love that large-print flower fabric- thank you for sending some my way in the fat quarter swap!

two hippos April 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

Thank you. I too am happy with my perfectly imperfect quilts :)

One Flew Over May 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

This looks really lovely. The blue is so pretty!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP