Greetings from Abilene

>> Tuesday, February 7, 2012

It's amazing how quickly one can drive 20 miles of flat, isolated highway when the speed limit is 75 mph. I'm doing research at the Eisenhower Presidential Library this week, but staying about 20 miles away from Abilene in Junction City. What would be an annoying slog in any metropolitan area is no big deal in the fairly rural Kansas plains. The library/museum complex is a half-century old, and its architecture certainly conveys a mid-century modern look. I haven't been to the museum yet, but as a researcher I do get free admission. Perhaps on today's lunch break.

Abilene may be small, but it seems to have 2 quilt shops. One was closed yesterday and I couldn't find the other but I'm going to try again today. I was lucky enough to win a spot in Rachel's Curves class, and since I can't sew anything this week, perusing fabric after a day's work will have to suffice. If I'm efficient enough this week, I'm hoping to have a little time to stop by Lawrence and/or explore Kansas City on Friday before I fly out. Any suggestions for things to do or see while along the eastern Kansas portion of the I-70 corridor are welcome!

3 comments:

~Michelle~ February 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM  

Sarah's Fabrics in Lawrence & Bon Bon Atelier in KC...

And one of my favorite things about those rural middle states is driving 80 and thinking I'm going slow!

~Michelle~ February 7, 2012 at 5:51 PM  

just to clarify, I've never been to either, but if my travels ever take me to eastern KS, they are on my list

FlourishingPalms February 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM  

If you get to go to only one place, go to Sarah's in Lawrence! Been there. Want to go again. Badly!

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP