Twirl

>> Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Michonne's month in do.Good Stitches, and she asked for Ribbon Blocks, with yellow stars and aqua ribbons. These blocks are going to create a lovely quilt. That said, making these blocks made me very happy that I came of quilting age in an era of modern quilting, because lots of little pieces that need to fit exactly into place would not have led me to prolific quilting (and the prolific fun that results from it). Now, these weren't difficult to make, they simply required a lot of instruction-checking and concentration. And much like I prefer to free-form it in the kitchen with recipes as a starting point (that adage about baking requiring precision is rubbish! Or at least only sort-of true: if you know what cake/brownie/cookie dough/bread batter should feel like, you can adapt), so too do I relish a certain imprecision at the sewing machine. But one of the benefits of do.Good Stitches is regularly moving outside the sewing comfort zone and that's a good thing, even if it lands me back in the comfort zone...

...of some improv log cabin blocks. Carrie asked for some volunteers to make blocks for a quilt for Avery, a young gymnast who recently fell and was paralyzed. As a former gymnast who has stayed somewhat involved in the sport (some coaching, some meet-directing, and now mostly spectating), this particular quilt project felt especially important, and these blocks were fun (and quick!) to make.

2 comments:

Natalie February 20, 2012 at 10:42 AM  

Your blocks look great! I really like both sets. And I know what you mean-- I think I have the same approach to sewing (and cooking!) as you do :)

~Michelle~ February 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM  

Well, you know I would particularly adore the methodical approach to the first blocks. And that's generally how I operate in the kitchen (when I actually do something in the kitchen). However, this weekend, I was short on oats to make oatmeal cookies, so I improvised with some apple/cinnamon oatmeal packets...

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP