The Arty Zig

>> Friday, January 27, 2012

A couple months ago, Pat Bravo asked if anyone would be willing to make Project Linus quilts out of her Art Gallery scraps. I responded yes, and lo and behold, a ginormous packet of scraps arrived at my house. They ranged across her collections, so while the aesthetic was fairly constant, the colors and sizes were not. I spent a while trying to figure out how to tame the scrappy wildness. Then I remembered Cara's designs for her guild's Habitat challenge and found my answer.

The big zig, which I have taken to calling, The Arty Zig, uses string-pieced blocks and a lot of negative space to make a statement. Or at least a large zig-zag. I made 8" blocks and randomly added the strips.

I'm not sure random was the best method, as it was a tad tricky to place the blocks in a pleasing manner given the range of colors involved. But the blocks were made and I was not remaking them. Now that I've made this once, I can see all sorts of possibilities -- fading from one color to another, multiple zig-zags within the big zig, a strip zig, and the like.

And, in what has become a common refrain in two-hippos-land, I love love love the back. Probably more than the front. There were three big chunks o' scrap in the bag and I used them for a riff on (or merely a column of) Oh Fransson's New Wave quilt.

I never thought I'd say it (so mark it down in the record books), I admit that I find that pink + coral print rather pretty. That's right, on my half birthday in 2012 (31.5 for those keeping track at home), I acknowledge that, on rare occasions, I do in fact like pink fabric. Emphasize the rare, ok? I don't want my anti-pink reputation ruined.

Which leads me back to teal, possibly my most favorite shade of blue ever and always a good option. I made this binding out of 8 million (or 30ish) scraps, some from Pat Bravo's bag o' wonders and some from yardage scraps I had in my own scrap bin. Teal is fabulous, let's just reiterate that in light of comments above.

8 comments:

~Michelle~ January 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM  

I like the front better on this one, lol! The random mix of Art Gallery scraps are just perfect...someone at Project Linus is going to be very happy!

Tiffany January 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM  

I agree with Michelle, above, that I love the front more! The Zig/Zag is super cool! I love that it's scrappy. The binding is the perfect color for this quilt. Great job!

Karissa January 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM  

The front on this is GORGEOUS! Another fabulous finish, of course.

Michelle Ruby January 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM  

I recognize the binding! I have the coolest bag ever made out of that print (thanks!).

Jess January 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM  

I love the big art zig zag quilt. I think quilts with lots of negative space are beautiful. Also I am so glas there is another girl out there that des not like pink....

Kelli February 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM  

I love both sides and I do love pink. I never thought I did until I had a girl and then I realized that I like pink more than she does. But not baby pink, I like mine bold and loud! ;)

Juli February 10, 2012 at 5:03 PM  

Great source of Marimekko fabric scraps at http://www.etsy.com/shop/ScandinavianFabrics

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP