Gentle Curves

>> Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Even I can be a delinquent student. The one who shrugs off an optional assignment as unnecessary. The one who figures "I've already done that" so why redo it. The one who prioritizes other things. In this case, the class is Rachel's Curves class and I confess that I waited until the "Rainbow Road" project to do anything more than watch the videos and read the project instructions. Because I don't need any bibs (though they would make a nice gift) and I had already made a scallop quilt, I passed on the first week of projects. Also, I was in Kansas sans sewing machine, which made it somewhat impossible to sew anything.

But I knew I would try my hand at improv curves and this project in particular. Never one to exactly follow instructions, I turned to my scrap bin instead of a rainbow of solids, and came up with this orange and aqua meandering path. I also started piecing the orange and aqua scraps together before the instructions were posted so I constructed each row a little differently, but to no ill effect. I think it's going to become a challah cover once I bind it (perhaps in a reddish-purple?). I also think it will be gifted to a friend, but that's a surprise for now.

This week's classes focus on precise curves -- which I really want to figure out. But I'm reclaiming the sewing slacker label for the next week as I'm off to Utah for research, sans sewing machine yet again. However, I am under the impression that there are amazing quilt shops on every corner of every street in Utah, so please point me to them! I'll be in Salt Lake City for the most part, with a possible day trip to Provo for some material held at BYU's library and special collections. Of course, restaurant, sight-seeing, and other recommendations are always welcome...

5 comments:

Karissa February 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM  

Looks great! Nice work, as always. Safe travels!

Jenny February 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM  

I love aqua and orange together! This is gorgeous. I'm still intimidated by curves, but would love to try them!

Rachel at Stitched in Color February 22, 2012 at 8:11 PM  

It turned out so pretty. Such a lovely combo of fabrics!

Connie Kresin Campbell March 2, 2012 at 6:23 PM  

Great colors and very nice! Have a safe trip, I've never been there.
Quilting by the River

  © Blogger template Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP